Dog walker for Melbourne Quarantine

MnEmCathcart

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been already posted but I've searched and am struggling to find any relevant threads.

My dog will be in Spotswood quarantine from 11th April for 30 days and I'm wanting to get him a dog walker. Does anyone have experience of this? Or could anyone recommend a company? How often are the dog walkers allowed to visit and what are they allowed to do?

Also rou idea of costs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Emma

Hi Emma,

I hope I don't get banned for this, because for some reason other forum members have complained that I (a private dog walker) am posting in this forum?!?

I imagine that I cant tell you too much about my services, should they break any policy, but all details are on my site (in the signature).

Good luck Bruce

IIRC its only twice a week they are allowed visits.

Not sure of prices, hopefully someone will be along to give you an idea. I know members have used dog walkers in the past so I hope that you'll get some recommendations.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/accom/spotswood

I am not sure but could your pet shipping company not provide you with some names of people they know of and recommend?

If I dig up the previous threads where this was discussed I'll post back here.

• 4 weeks later...

my dog was at spotswood for the 30 days and as we were in Tassie we only visited him once when he had only been there for two days. We were going to get a dog walker but spotswood do walk your dog if you are unable to visit them regularly. The site we looked at and called were dogwalks.com.au they were really friendly and they were the ones who said to check with spotswood because they thought the dogs got walked there anyway.

Spotwood staff were fantastic as our dog was so nervous and would eat for quiet a few days. They didnt seem to mind me ringing for updates in the first two weeks then we emailed them. They helped us arrange for our dog to come to tassie, it was cheaper and less stressful for him in the end to be flown into launceston. They are fantastic, dont worry your animal is in good hands. I am so glad i brought my dog, he loves it here.. let is know how you get on

• 2 weeks later...

"check with spotswood because they thought the dogs got walked there anyway."

Yes this is true, and the staff are great, however with over 100 dogs plus cats, and limited staff and yards ... I think you can work out that not all dogs will have a lot of individual attention with staff continually playing fetch or rubbing the dogs bellies etc.

Its just raw logistics. The good news is that if you choose a good walker (like myself for instance) your dog will get two long exercises in the yards each week PLUS what the staff can manage. I walk my dog twice a day, so if I had a dog in quarantine, I would be trying to get them the most amount of freedom outside of their concrete runs that I could.

​Cheers Bruce & Archie

Archived