thinking off moving over

Guest kevin101270

Guest kevin101270

Looking at moving over with family wife and two kids under 6. Can any one tell us what the situation is with schools etc. I'm in the police over here and my wife is a care assistant with the NHS know a lot have made the move so any pointers or help would be great.

Cheers Kevin and Sarah

Guest kevinboomer

bumping you up!!! You are both in great careers!!!! All the best to you, I don't think you'll have a problem with emigrating!!!! Lisa xxxx

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Kevin & Sarah,

Kids tend to start school about 6 months older than in UK and in Queensland that first year is optional!! our son is 5 1/2 and just started in Year 1, he's had about 6 months extra schooling at least to those here (prep is the optional year).

We have been visiting nursery's for our youngest this week, childcare is available here from about 6 months old to 5 years and we have found it lots cheaper than what we were paying at home. When you are working parents here you are enitlted to family benefit - if you are permanent residents - and depending on your income you get a reduction in costs - it will cost us approx 15 pound a day instead of 32 which is what we were paying at home. What is also good (for us) is that the nursery also does before and after school care for primary aged children so we will drop our oldest off at the same nursery, they take him to school in a minibus and pick him up at end of day. The nursery is open 6.30am to 6.30pm which is typically of most nurserys here and there's lots of childcare centres to choose from.

Liz

hi kevin and sarah, the school system here is a lot more relaxed than the english system. if you want you're child to attend a religious school you have to pay, there is also private schools which are expensive although not as expensive as the english equivalent. my kids have both attended state schools, we have never had any problems with them.

Guest kevin101270

Hi, thanks for getting back to us much appricated. We've got loads of questions and hopefully you'll be able to help us out and not become an nuisance to you. Wonder what the best areas are to look at moving to. Did you find it ok moving out there and settling down. Thanks alot for your time. Sarah and kevin. Will you let us Know if its ok to bombard you with millions of question.

Guest Daz&Kaz

Hi Kevin,

Were in a similar position my other half is in the police and has recently been offered a job with WA Police subject to Visa, Meds etc. being ok. Have you looked at WA Police Site, Western Australia Police they were recruiting last year and my OH had interview and test up in London last September. He also looked at South Australian Police who again were recruiting but didn't take it further as WA came up Trumps but they may still be recruiting South Australia Police :: Home. They look for a minimum of 3 years service I think this is something to do with the Visa application but if you miss outfirst time, try again thats what we did and hopefully we will be there September this year. Hope this Helps

Karen & Darren

Guest kevin101270

Hi Karen thanks for replying. Kevins got ten years service do you know if the wage is roughly the same as they get in uk. Thanks for web adds kevins going to check them out. Sarah.

Guest Daz&Kaz

Hi Sarah & Kevin, The format for WA is 12 weeks training in Joondalup on a salary of approx 1500 AusDollars every two weeks which is pretty rubbish, but once training is over, the salary is from 55,000.00 Aus upto around 70,000 depending on what level you go in on, from what you say your oh may be top end, were middle scale, this is for Constable and Senior Constable Level. So not bad salary scale really even when converting back to pounds. Not too sure on shift patterns in Oz in the UK Darren works a 5 week rota, which means I can do part time work, we also have two youngsters, Charlotte who is 3 and Jessie who is 2, so will be looking for child care, when we get there as I would like to work part time, just to get me out and make some new friends too. If you or Kevin have any questions

and we can help just yell, or you can e mail us we don't mind. We are finding out more as we go, as our Visa Application will be starting end of Feb with a start date of September WOW

Hope this helps Karen

Archived