Old green UK licence expires when I'm 75, do I need to re-sit test?

Thistle13

I still have the old green paper driving licence that has an expiration when I'm 75yrs. What happens when I go back to UK.....do I have to re-sit a test, or can I just keep driving on the same paper licence? anyone know the rules on this?

If you have an expired licence you can apply for a new one without re-sitting a test - I assume you are under 75? Even over 75 you don't need to resit a test, you need a Dr. to certify you are fit to drive, I think it's annually - my dad at 82 has just renewed his.

Assuming you have an Australian licence you can also get a UK licence that way - noty sure which is best.

All the information is here:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences

Ah sorry misread - you need to be careful, you are supposed to surrender your license as it is an offence not to advise DVLA of changes of address and you cannot have an overseas address.

Ah sorry misread - you need to be careful, you are supposed to surrender your license as it is an offence not to advise DVLA of changes of address and you cannot have an overseas address.

We never surrendered ours -we left 1982 and when we went back in 2001 exchanged the old green licence for a photo id one -there is still a paper attachment though and I think most of the old ones its 70 not 75 when it needs to be renewed annually

Archived