What to do with share isas?

oz bound pom

Hi all,

i have several years worth of share isa's which invest in various funds globally. I would not consider myself an expert but I've consistently outperformed all the stock markets and am pleased with what I've accomplished.

The question now is, with a move around 6months away what is the best thing to do with them? i understand I can't invest anymore into them, thats not a problem.

Anyway I think I have the following options

1) cash them all in and take the money over when I move

2) keep hold of them - i cannot invest anymore, and will need to pay Au CGT tax on them. Is this yearly? ie say when I emigrate they are worth $10k. By the end of my first year they grow to $11k. do I pay Au tax on 1k (minus 50% as I'll have held them for over 12months?) or do I only pay tax when I sell them? I've hear contradicting advice on this. Also if i start doing an Au tax return, how do I 'price' them, is it literally just a snapshot of what they are worth on one day and then the same a year later?

3) come up with some elaborate offshore scheme to the tax man never finds out about!

Also, I use Fidelity (amongst others) and their fund supermarket is very varied and covers funds by many managers in many geographical areas and different sectors. Are there similar ''supermarkets'' available in Oz, I;ve had a quick look but can't find anything as comprehensive or with many of the superbly performing funds I currently invest in. Any pointers?

Archived