Permanent residency medical

beatnik

Hi,

When applying for PR, does the immigration department check your medicare records whilst you've been living in Australia. I just wondered as we are currently on 457 visas and have been to see the GP several times for different things and claimed via Medicare; and wondered if this may count against us if we go for PR?

I'm guessing that the PR medical examination is just what they look at, but wanted to be sure.

Guest littlesarah

The purpose of the medical, as I understand it, is to assess the likelihood a potential migrant is going to pose a significant healthcare burden to the Australian government (e.g. for treatment of a complex and chronic medical condition that is not well-controlled). It is not expected that a person will not have seen a medical practitioner for minor complaints - we all suffer the occasional episode of ill-health that requires assessment and intervention, and that doesn't cost a huge amount in the scheme of things. If the medical requirements were 'never had a day of ill-health', almost no one would be given medical clearance!

Archived