Pittwater House school Collaroy

Annika

Hi there

Would be very grateful to hear about your thoughts and feelings for Pittwater House. Very mindful of getting the new school right to make my daughter's transition as smooth as possible.

Thank you.

Annika

Hi Annika,

i have been looking at Pittswater House for my daughter too. Are you in the area at the moment or just checking it out via web, etc? St Luke's looks nice too and Loquat Valley if she is yr 6 or younger.

If you are in the area and take a visit let me know what you think. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi Annika and Hattie, Me too! Have son aged 9 and daughter aged 7 - Pittwater House looks perfect for both of them and the uniform is almost the same as DS school here! Have you been to see it yet as I can't find any reviews or mums on here that have children there. Planning to live in Cromer if we go so nice and handy. Son is quite academic but at a non selective prep school in the UK and doing well. Loves sport and the facilities at PH look great. Most importantly I want them to enjoy school though and not be working themselves to the bone all hours of the day. ..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

St Luke's is a much better school than PWHS. Moved my son from PWHS to St Luke's (should have put him in there from the start! )as have many others. St Luke's has a waiting list unless you're lucky, PWHS can usually fit you in immediately which tells you something...

Don't be pulled in by the pool & oval - all other schools in area including State schools have access to pools & sports fields but not necessarily on site. Pool & oval doesn't mean you get good academic results or discipline - both reasons why most people I know left PWHS. Class sizes tend to be small in PWHS - reason i joined coming from larger classes in primary school in UK - big mistake as it limits social aspect if there are a couple of kids who don't get on or don't speak English- makes it quite exclusive rather than inclusive.

Northern Beaches is very sporty so lots of gifted kids who manage to excel, regardless of school actually as there are great public sports facilities & sports clubs.

Great schools in the area with good reputations are St Luke's, Loquat Valley is primary feeder school for St Luke's, Northern beaches Christian school, Manly Selective & Oxford Falls - all far better than PWHS... it really depends on your child & your own expectations. Don't be skewed by High school academic results - PWHS have a high number of Asian students from Japan & Korea on scholarships in Year 11 & year 12 which pushes up the grades.

• 5 months later...

Hi Anita,

How is it going in Australia? How are the children enjoying Pittwater House? I am coming over in July with the kids to have a look and try and persuade them that they might like it!! Are the class sizes too small to make friends would you say or are there enough kids to make it socially decent without compromising on the teaching? My son really needs small class sizes! Do let me know how yours have settled in and where are you living? My sister is in Dee Why and the other one in Newcastle so somewhere near Cromer will suit us fine..

How old are your kids? My son is 10 and daughter 8 and I'm planning on a tour of PWHS!

Laura

Hi Anita,

How is it going in Australia? How are the children enjoying Pittwater House? I am coming over in July with the kids to have a look and try and persuade them that they might like it!! Are the class sizes too small to make friends would you say or are there enough kids to make it socially decent without compromising on the teaching? My son really needs small class sizes! Do let me know how yours have settled in and where are you living? My sister is in Dee Why and the other one in Newcastle so somewhere near Cromer will suit us fine..

How old are your kids? My son is 10 and daughter 8 and I'm planning on a tour of PWHS!

Laura

Hello. We are all enjoying life in Collaroy thanks. The kids really like Pittwater House although I had to take the middle one out. I won't go into reasons why but the other two are very settled. With hindsight however, I would explore other options. St Lukes at Deewhy is excellent and our son is going to Cromer Public School which has a caring feel to it, Collaroy Plateau is also a nice school. The class sizes are always smaller at the private schools. You need to see a few and make up your own mind, you'll know when you visit :)

Ewan is 11 (year 6), Ciaran 10 and Sienna 5 (just started Kindy).

Good luck, it is very scary moving out here but worth it. I fly back to the UK for a visit end of June...

Archived