Tax on UK income

Guest judith1967

Guest judith1967

Can anyone tell me if:

a) I will have to pay tax in oz on income from letting my house in the uk? I will be paying income directly to pay mortgage payment in the Uk

b) I will be taxed on maintenance paid for my children by their Father

I believe I saw somewhere that in Australia that you are taxed on worldwide income, so yes you would pay tax on your house.

Have the maintainence payments made to the children.... got no idea on this one, in teh UK your ex partner paid the tax due on it when he earnt it, so its a non issue in the UK

Guest BullcreekBob

a) I will have to pay tax in oz on income from letting my house in the uk? I will be paying income directly to pay mortgage payment in the Uk

G'day

The relationship between you and the Australian Tax Office is very dependant on your visa sub class. For some visa you will need to show UK income, for some you won't.

As a general rule, if the rental income from the UK is going to be taxable, then the interest you pay on your mortgage will be tax deductible. Which means the two tend to cancel each other out.

HTH

Bob in Bull Creek

Guest hazel and dave
Can anyone tell me if:

b) I will be taxed on maintenance paid for my children by their Father

Hi

I phoned up the tax people about the same issue re the house. They said that I would get my tax allowance and would then have to pay tax on anything I earnt over that amount (but costs etc can be offset agaisnt that). You can also only be taxed on income once so...... should be OK re paying in oz. Thay also gave me the web address and location of the forms etc so they can lodged online when abroad (if it works lol). Their number is 0845 0700040. Give them a ring they were really helpful and explained things in such a way that even my totally unfinancial brain manged to grasp it. Good luck

hazel

Archived