Renting with a pet

Guest Helaine

Guest Helaine

can anyone shed any light on renting with a dog.....shes a hungarian puli but we have her clipped so she does not have the full dreadlocks (way to much hassle to look after) so she is also a breed that does not moult or shed, i have printed details from the web to bring with me and am also getting doggy refs from our neighbours here to prove she is no trouble and as shes only about 18 inches tall she is classed as a small dog, do landlords frown upon people with pets as i dont want to have to rent some stinking hole just cause we have a dog.

any help and advice would be great.

can anyone shed any light on renting with a dog.....shes a hungarian puli but we have her clipped so she does not have the full dreadlocks (way to much hassle to look after) so she is also a breed that does not moult or shed, i have printed details from the web to bring with me and am also getting doggy refs from our neighbours here to prove she is no trouble and as shes only about 18 inches tall she is classed as a small dog, do landlords frown upon people with pets as i dont want to have to rent some stinking hole just cause we have a dog.

any help and advice would be great.

In Australia, more than two thirds of households own pets. We actually have the highest incidence of pet ownership per household of any country in the world. But finding pet friendly rental accommodation * be it a house, unit or apartment * is not always easy.

Across the country, residential tenancy agreements either do not mention keeping pets or state that written consent is required from the landlord before pets are allowed in rental properties. This following information and suggestions provided may help you obtain that written permission, so you can enjoy the companionship of your pet in rental accommodation.

When looking for a place that will accept tenants with pets, it is essential to remember the following points:

responsible pet owners make responsible tenants;

be prepared to put in some time and effort;

find out what makes landlords say yes to pets; and

be a great representative for all pet-owning tenants

Raise the subject of pets in person with the owner/manager if possible.

Presenting information about yourself and your pet in a face-to-face meeting will have

a better impact than if it is raised over the telephone.

Prepare and have handy a complete résumé on your pet which includes all medical records, obedience school certificates and written references from past landlords, neighbours, obedience schools and veterinarians.

Offer to sign a pet agreement to clearly define behaviour appropriate to the rental premises.

Pets are not permitted to be kept in many Strata Title properties because of specific Body Corporate By-laws. Check the By-laws of the Body Corporate in yourStrata Title development to identify any special conditions for pets.

Encourage the owner/manager to meet your well-groomed, well-behaved pet to demonstrate it is responsibly cared for and obedient.

Pet Deposit

If you live here in Western Australia you may offer to pay an additional 'pet deposit' or 'bond' of up to $100 to cover any damages resulting from your pet's actions as a demonstration of your responsible approach to renting with pets. Most other Australian states do not permit the payment of pet specific deposits or bonds.

Hope this puts you a bit more in the picture?

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Helaine

What we done was looked at rentals that said pets considered as we have a big dog we figgered we would have no chance is they said no pets allowed. The first rental we applied for we got just paid the $100 pet bond & the house is only a year old. So dont think this isn't just for you but all pet owners reading this that because you have pets you will be in a dump of a rental. Mind you there are a few dumps here :shocked:

Janette

Guest Helaine

thanks for that , also spoke to our agent who is fantastic she told us pretty much that as long as we have it sprayed we should be fine.

Archived