25yr old english spark need advice on the move to Aus

nspark1

Hi all,

Its my first post, so please go easy.

Completed my city&guilds apprenticeship around 4 years ago.

Been thinking of travelling to aus for x amount of months to see how i find it. If i like it, then i'll apply for a working visa and then see what happens.

You read so many different views on what it takes/needs to work as a spark in Aus.

I wouldnt mind working as a trade assistant while things are in process, and also i feel you'll get an understanding of what it takes to spark in Aus without putting too much pressure on yourself.

Could some explain to me what the actual process is from getting in as a TA to becoming a spark.

Heres a few other questions that would be really handy to have answered....

How hard are the exams in Aus to get your license?

Cost from TA to spark?

Time it takes from TA to Spark?

Difficulty in finding work in WA/Sydney?

Is the standard of sparking higher in Aus than England?

Is it hard to survive on a TA's wage?

Any other pointers would be great.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hey man, im a pommy brickie currently working in brisbane. id advice you to do a working holiday visa which is about 250 quid or something from an STA travel agent. advantage with that visa is its the cheapest and no fuss visa (as long u have no criminal record) so if u dont like australia or for whatever reason u wont lose out onto much. you can only work for a year with that visa unless u do 3 months agricultural/farm work to get the extension for the 2nd year. but with that visa ur only allowed to work with 1 employer for 6 months max then ull have to look for sum were else unless u can convince them to sponsor u which is the hardest part. most of the sparks/tradies on the same sites ive worked on have been on a self employed basis similar to the U.K. ull need a tax file number which takes 2 weeks to apply (on internet or tax office) so the first 2 weeks u wont be allowed offically to work unless u get a cash in hand job etc. then when u get that ull have to apply for an ABN number which is like a self employed number which you give your employer when u write your invoices in for your wages.

sydney/ perth are the 2 main places for work but at moment everywhere is quiet for australian standards but still compared to the U.K its an improvement, they pay the best rates but generally more expensive to live there so its kind of balances out.

from what ive seen ive worked on houses and units (apartments) i havent been on commercial (where the $$$$ is) but the sparks/plumbing seems a lot more straight forward and quicker than back in the U.K. most houses are timber framed so all the seem to do is drill holes in the timber then thread the wires thru and there is no messing around ripping plaster off, chiseling brickwork/blockwork etc. everything for the trades is straightforward and easier access than back home, hence they can build a house in like 2/3 weeks. i was working on a site where its full off young apprentices doing the sparks, but how hard can electrics be? :D but like anythin ull have to learn the aussie way to do things and give it a month or so ull be fine :)

all the best

• 4 months later...

im alex, 25 from london im heading to australia in april 2014, im in the same boat as you mate, but im a time served nvq levels 2 and 3 plumber, when was you thinking of going to oz? would be good to meet new people who are in the same situation and work together ect. im thinking of sydney but will travel to whereva i find work, not to keen on all this, extra certificates and going back to college stuff. i done 4 years like yourself. you sound as though you know alot more than me whats th TA

Archived