Emirates flights, luggage & extras questions...please help

newtothis

we are flying out on a 457 visa in february (hopefully!) and dont plan on shipping much out. The main things we want to take along with clothes/ personal stuff are toys, books, Mac, camera.

We are looking at migrant flights or the Emirates ANZ offer that gives extra baggage (50kg I think) and will be travelling with our two sons (4 and 1)

we are wondering if we should book the one year old his own seat - mainly to get space and sleeping room for him, but also for the extra baggage it would allow for. If we do, does he have to go in a car seat on the plane in his own seat??

I believe we can check in 50kg each with a maximum per bag of 32kg. is there a limit to the number of checked bags we are allowed each? and do they all have to be actual cases or can they be boxes? contents wise they may just contain books and toys...is this likely to be an issue?? struggling to find relevant info online.

my partner has a surf board too so that needs to come with us and I think we can have an extra hand luggage due to travelling with a baby. will put the mac and camera in hand luggage...partner is a chef so his knives will go in checked luggage and declared.

Any advise, tips or help would be a huge help

thanks in advance.

ali

With regards to the seat for a one year old... consider if you want him on your lap the entire flight or not (or between you and OH). As that is where he will be without his own seat. The bassinets are usually given priority for smaller babies upwards so if there are a few 3 or 6 month old babies on the flight, they will get the bulkhead seats ahead of you.

If the seat gets you the 50kg, I'd probably book it if it will help you. Re car seat, he'll need something to sit in. Emirates website has all the info on that if you go read it, under Infant Safety.

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/flying/young_flyers/special_care/travelling_with_infants.aspx

Again, baggage wise, the website will probably tell you. This page has a calculator on it http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/plan_book/essential_information/baggages/baggages.aspx

If in doubt, contact the airline direct via email and ask them to clarify. I'd not be trying to take 6 bags each anyways. Average about 20-25kg per bag and take 2 per person is how I would go for checked baggage. I don't think you can check boxes.

Also read their FAQ topics to see if they cover the things you are asking

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/faqs/FAQDetails.aspx?faqCategory=214913

FWIW a surfboard would be considered part of a person luggage allowance. So if its 15kg say, then you'd only have 35kg to play with for the person for other checked baggage.

Boxes would need to be shipped as air freight iirc. You can get quotes from companies for this.

We used the Emirates/ANZ offer and it worked really well. There was just myself and my husband, we spread it over 3 cases, and my bike. For other stuff we used Seven Seas, flying several tea chest size boxes and a book box, which arrived in about 7-10 days, and then also shipped half a dozen tea chests and a bike. The shipped stuff took about 2 months to get to us, and was quicker than they predicted. The cost for the Seven Seas side of things was really reasonable, and the tea chests fitted loads in. I think the max weight was 30kg per box, but don't quote me on that.

The surf board would come out of the allowance, as my bike did.

You might need to check whether the baby, or child under a certain age, still qualifies of 50kg on the offer. We did it some time ago now, but I'm sure there was something in the small print saying that the deal didn't apply for children... Also, make sure you have one way flights, Emirates will only honour the deal if you have the one way ticket.

Overall though, it worked well.

If you open your Australian bank account with ANZ, and you have one of the specified visas, you can claim 50kg baggage allowance for your entry flight with Emirates. You have to have a one way ticket, can only use the offer on your initial entry, and the visa has to be on the list. But its a great deal.

Thanks, thats all really useful info. im presuming we could get away with mixing personal clothes etc along with toys, ornaments etc in our checked cases...would there be anything (apart from the obvious) we coudlnt take in checked luggage?? Surf board has an additionla use as the case fits other stuff in including the digeridoo we bought last time :)

We used the Emirates/ANZ offer and it worked really well. There was just myself and my husband, we spread it over 3 cases, and my bike. For other stuff we used Seven Seas, flying several tea chest size boxes and a book box, which arrived in about 7-10 days, and then also shipped half a dozen tea chests and a bike. The shipped stuff took about 2 months to get to us, and was quicker than they predicted. The cost for the Seven Seas side of things was really reasonable, and the tea chests fitted loads in. I think the max weight was 30kg per box, but don't quote me on that.

The surf board would come out of the allowance, as my bike did.

You might need to check whether the baby, or child under a certain age, still qualifies of 50kg on the offer. We did it some time ago now, but I'm sure there was something in the small print saying that the deal didn't apply for children... Also, make sure you have one way flights, Emirates will only honour the deal if you have the one way ticket.

Overall though, it worked well.

did you book direct with emirates or do we contact the bank to sort it out - havent opened accounts yet and will be booking one way

Archived