How is GST Calculated in Australia

GeorginaWay

When importing things from the UK, such as a car or Caravan, how do the Aussies calculate the GST? On a brand new item with no UK VAT paid, would it be based on the UK new price multiplied by the exchange rate of the day, or is it based on the costs of an equivalent product new in Australia. For us this could be a big difference, as a new Caravan in UK VAT free is about £15K, and over here the similar model we are looking at is $46K, even with the cost of importing on a ship and customs fees, the savings are hugh, plus the vans have far superior interiors, and as we only want to do tarmac roads and campsites, we do need the big Oz off road types, plus they just about all only 2 berths, even the ones that are 20-25ft long?

If you're purchasing the van purely to bring to Australia, then Customs will use the value on the invoice. If you've owned it for more than about 3 months, you can get an independent valuation (and Customs have the option to request it if they think the value listed on the invoice is too low).

You won't need an off-road caravan if you're planning to stick to the bitumen. Most of the off-road ones are for grey nomads, so are 2-berth but fully decked out. We've got a 5-berth 16ft van which serves us fine for the travelling we do. Caravan parks are a wonderful life learning experience for kids :)

If you're purchasing the van purely to bring to Australia, then Customs will use the value on the invoice. If you've owned it for more than about 3 months, you can get an independent valuation (and Customs have the option to request it if they think the value listed on the invoice is too low).

You won't need an off-road caravan if you're planning to stick to the bitumen. Most of the off-road ones are for grey nomads, so are 2-berth but fully decked out. We've got a 5-berth 16ft van which serves us fine for the travelling we do. Caravan parks are a wonderful life learning experience for kids :)

Hi Ironchef, thanks for the info, we are purely looking at buying with a view to export immediately, so happy they will use the UK invoice as it will be VAT free. I assume, unlike a car we do not need to have owned it for 12 months? Also does Ironlady deal with importing Caravans, or are they purely Cars? If so any idea of cost on a 26'ft van?

We deal with vans too, you don't need to own it for 12 months like cars. Send me a PM with the dimensions of the van and I'll see what I can dig up for you. Bear in mind that shipping costs are calculated on volume, so getting a camper or a pop-top is a very wise move, financially.

Archived