House swap back home for a year

alana rose rae

Hi. We are emigrating to WA at the end of the year. We were hoping to house swap for a year and have been on various sites, but they are not filling me with much hope. If anyone is homesick and thinking of coming back home for a while, would you be interested in a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom (2 en-suite) house with adjoining office, at the foot of the hills, near Stirling, Scotland??? We would require a 3/4 bedroom house. Get in touch if it's something you'd consider or we'll just have to rent our house and rent in WA ourselves.

We're moving back to Scotland and were initially thinking of renting our house out here but in the end it was just not financially viable - a mortgage in WA is far more than rent/mortgage in Scotland and this could be a stumbling block for a lot of people - unless it is a temporary move back (which was our initial plan) it doesn't make any sense to keep a house in WA.

Your house does sound wonderful and there is someone on this site it might suit - perhaps re-title your post so it's clear it's WA/Scotland.

Do you have a particular reason why you'd prefer a house swap? Seems like it's complications waiting to happen to me! What if you or the person you swap with wants to move back sooner? Or elsewhere?

Good luck - I hope you find what you're looking for in WA - we didn't and are happy to be moving back to Falkirk.

Jules

Hi Jules,

A family member from QLD has house swapped back home a couple of times and thats where we got the idea from. We would have to take a big drop if we sold our house here at the moment, so it makes sense to hold onto it. The way it works is that you just continue to pay your mortgage and they pay theirs, as they would have to anyway. Same as bills and council tax. As we haven't joined a house swapping site, we could be flexible and do what suits both parties.

When are you moving back? How long have you been there? Can i ask why you aren't happy in WA?

I did think of that too, however, that tends to be the way that house swapping works BUT we are not bound by any rules and are flexible to what suits the other party too. I'd prefer it myself if we did it the way you are suggesting but don't know how it'd work.

I don't think anyone would like the idea of continuing to pay an Oz mortgage whilst living and working in the UK. The salaries and mortgage costs are very different!

They only way it might work is if you pay the mortgage for the house you are living in.

Archived