Volunteering

someguyinoz

Hi all,

Has anyone volunteered in any of the national parks as part of their regional work? Does this count? It looks as though conservation and reforestation related work falls under specified work if in the right location so I'm guessing this would count right? Or does it have to be paid?

I don't know if volunteering in a national park counts but the work doesn't necessarily have to be paid. I did WWOOFing (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) where work is exchanged for food and board, no money involved, and as long as you do it in the right postcode with a farm host who is able to sign the form (ask first, not all are allowed) then it counts.

I am WWOOFing in between trips home to Sydney (to stay with mum and sister). As previously mentioned, the work does not have to be paid, or as far as I'm aware even on a commercial farm (although that helps!), but the work does have to meet the specified requirements, and it has to be in the right postcode area. With WWOOFing/volunteering it helps to have other information to prove you were in the area, like photos of work or train tickets, but you must get the 1263 form signed. DIAC can and will trace your references and confirm the work/days completed.

Speaking of WWOOFing, you might want to look into that someguyinoz if you want to get away from the masses of people in backpacking hostels! A lot of the WWOOFing hosts have places for 1-3people, so you aren't surrounded by many people and have the chance to get to know the people you are with, and in a bit more of a controlled environment. I am a bit like you and will avoid a large gathering of people if given the option, and the thought of stepping foot into a hostel is not very appealing. I've been to one farm already, only for a few days, and stayed with 2 others in a small cottage. I had a great time! Made some friends, didn't find it that awkward and got food/board in exchange for work. Only expense was the travel costs to the place. :)

Archived