457 Visa to PR a couple of questions

gwolst77

Hi

Been in Melbourne since September on a 457, work is going really well and I have been sounded out about moving in to a new role which is the next logical step for me regarding career progression in my chosen profession.

When being sounded out about the role (there would be a transition period between 6 - 12 months before I officially change to the new job title). I mentioned about the company paying for my PR (which would include using the company solicitors doing all the leg work) as part of the remuneration package. Obviously I will be golden handcuffed to my employer for a period of time, but I am happy with this because they are a great company to work for and I have no intention of going anywhere.

My questions are as follows.

What type of PR visa can I go for? Do I have to be in my role for two years? I am sure I've seen somewhere that the criteria has changed regarding PR on a 457, and you only have to complete 6 months in your role instead of two years. BUT I may be getting my wires crossed with another visa or been misinformed by people at work.

Will the change of job title / role effect my PR application? A friend I have made over here got promoted at work a few years back and because he changed his job title within the initial two years, it buggered up his PR application.

The employer sponsored visa is the 186 or perhaps the 187 (186 is easier). If you do a skills assessment then they can sponsor you any time, if you don't get a skills assessment then you definitely would need to do two years on the 457 and if it were a completely different role then I daresay it could be problematic (althought not 100pc sure), if it just a bit more seniority then I don't see how that could hurt.

Can they get me through via the Direct Entry stream? My current job role/title (as stated on my 457 visa) is on the list, does that mean I don't need to be assessed? (I've been reading up on things since my first post)

I work in IT and have held various industry qualifications E.G Cisco etc (but they have now lapsed).

Archived