Returning on my 176 Visa???

Joseph Rydell

Long story short - I got PR for WA and arrived on 19th June 2009 but for one reason or another I left Oz on 25th March 2010 and have been living in the UK since. However I think I am regretting it and might move back to Perth.

Now I am pretty sure I can just rock up and live in WA no problem? But the thing is my 176 runs out I think 9th June 2014, so that might mean that after that date I can't get back into Oz, or I can't travel overseas without having a problem getting back in. Obviously I can't get citizenship before then so I would need to apply for a RRV visa to 'extend' my 176? Or something?

I'm worried I will have problems getting the RRV? If I get back before early March then I could have spent 2 years of the 5 years (that the 176 covers) in Oz. Do you think that is enough to get the RRV? Otherwise I'll have a problem I think?

I wasn't enjoying Oz at the time because I hurt my shoulder and was in pain for months. Now I'm back in the UK I miss Oz somewhat. I've got friends in the UK but they are all married with kids and I don't see them much. Oz has so much going for it I think I was a bit mad to leave. Admittedly WA and Perth are bloody expensive though!

So long as you make your move back before the five years is up, then I would not forsee any issues. If you need to travel once the five years is up you apply for the RRV and if you have not spent 2 years in Australia then you won't get a 5 year RRV but if you are living here and settled you would get the one year RRV. When that yer is up, repeat as necessary until you get either a 5 year RRV or citizenship.

Just don't leave it until the last minute before the initial visa travel expires. I would look to get here several months before.

Archived