Schools........which one?

FIGO

After reading thread after thread and my head totally going round in circles decided to post my first thread, so Hi everyone and bare with me if I mix my threads up.

Moving to Melbourne from sunny Scotland hopefully around May time although depending on our dog. My husband has a job and are looking to possibly move to the Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook, Taylors Lake, areas although not 100%, please feel free to suggest any others or comment on these areas for me.

My big issue is Schools, I have 2 children who will just have turned 10 and 13 in July and who attend a Catholic School. Ideally I would love to continue this, but if not would this be an issue, are there Catholic children who attend state schools? I would love for them to attend the same school together for a while...I guess for a little moral support, and was wondering when children move to high school, if it is Feb time then would they be at the same school for a few months (for example here it is after the summer holidays in August). The idea of the colleges sound good too as they continue their education there for longer! Also how easy is it to get into schools.

I would love to hear from others possibly in the same predicament, and just views on the best ones to think about. Sorry I have went on a bit. Just a confused and worried Mum!!!!!! :confused:

Pauline

You know that state schools accept catholics, right?? :ssign2:

Anyway, there are a couple of state schools too - Carranballac College and Point Cook College - up to Yr 9, and then Point Cook Senior which is years 9 to 12. I have kids at Carranballac (age 14) and Point Cook Senior (age 17) so can't speak for Point Cook College. But, in our experience, Point Cook Senior is very good and Carranballac is terrible (don't seem to do any actual school work).

After reading thread after thread and my head totally going round in circles decided to post my first thread, so Hi everyone and bare with me if I mix my threads up.

Moving to Melbourne from sunny Scotland hopefully around May time although depending on our dog. My husband has a job and are looking to possibly move to the Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook, Taylors Lake, areas although not 100%, please feel free to suggest any others or comment on these areas for me.

My big issue is Schools, I have 2 children who will just have turned 10 and 13 in July and who attend a Catholic School. Ideally I would love to continue this, but if not would this be an issue, are there Catholic children who attend state schools? I would love for them to attend the same school together for a while...I guess for a little moral support, and was wondering when children move to high school, if it is Feb time then would they be at the same school for a few months (for example here it is after the summer holidays in August). The idea of the colleges sound good too as they continue their education there for longer! Also how easy is it to get into schools.

I would love to hear from others possibly in the same predicament, and just views on the best ones to think about. Sorry I have went on a bit. Just a confused and worried Mum!!!!!! :confused:

Pauline

Hello Pauline.

My name is Claire and I moved over here in October 2012. We live in a Suburb near Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes called Tarneit. I too have 2 children aged 13 and 10.

Both my girls go to Baden Powell P-9 College in Tarneit. This is a state School (however I do pay £800 a year school fees). My 13 year old has gone from Yr. 9 Secondary School in the UK to going into Year 8 at the same school as her little sister!!

There is a Catholic School near to where I live called Thomas Carr College - http://www.thomascarr.vic.edu.au/

There is also two Christian Private Schools called Good New Lutheran and Heathdale College.

When I was looking at Schools I used Google Maps and http://www.goodschools.com.au/?gclid=CMmMvrvQ37QCFQIVpQodCzMAzA

The girls are currently on their Summer Holidays and return at the end of the month. Their next Holiday will be in April for 2 weeks. You will be arriving about mid-year which is not too bad. Just be prepared for the cost of Schools fees and their Uniform!

Hope the websites help you with the research, but nothing is like actually seeing and visiting the Schools themselves. Oh, you will also need to know that the schools are zoned here, so it does depend on where you live to which School your kids go to unless you send them to Private Schools.

Baden Powell were very approachable and very helpful in settling the girls. And they've made some great friends whom love their accent :)

Hope this helps

Claire

Thanks both for your honest advice. I know you can read the websites but its good to here real opinions.

Glad to here your settling into your new life in oz Claire. Can I just ask do you think it made a big difference, your girls being at the same school to begin with?

My daughter did the same thing as yours, Claire. We arrived 3 months ago and she had just finished year 9 and about to start her year 10 doing all her options, etc. She has to go back to do 2 months in Year 8 and then moves up to year 9 whne they start back after Summer. And it's in a primary school! She's settled in well and enjoying it but she found it a bit weird that she's wearing gingham summer dresses and lining up outside again, after spending 3 years at Secondary school....

Oh yes, and school uniform is horrendously expensive - no more 3-for-1 at Tesco for a tenner. You're talking $40 for a shirt, $125 for a blazer, $60 for a gingham dress. Eye-watering! And even in the free state schools you will have to pay fees. We've just paid $200 for the one at Carranballac and $600 for the one at Point Cook Snr plus another $600 in school books.

Archived