IELTS 3+ years old, moving from 455 to 186 - do I really have to redo the test?

Grome

Heya,

I sat my general IELTS about 3 years ago. I moved to Australia exactly 2 years ago, first on a student visa of my de-facto and later my company spondored a 457 that will run till 2016. So far, so great :)

My company has indicated that they will at one point sponsor my PR via a 186 visa. This is just pending me being rolled over into a permanent contract. Now I am wondering whether I really have to re-sit the IELTS in that case.

I had a 8.5 score even before I came to Australia and my job consists to 80% of written/spoken communication with Australians and overseas people. There is no chance in hell that I would actually be worse in the test now.

Has anyone have any experience with this? A co-worker apparently got the company to write her a letter confirming to immigration the type of work she is doing and she also attached some of her performance reviews to show that she is doing a great job. And they accepted that. But it feels like a gamble and I was wondering whether it is something immigration usually takes into account when they review an application or if they just check whether all the boxes are ticked, so to say.

Just want to avoid wasting my time and money...

Thanks for any feedback! I guess I will also call the immigration hotline at one point.

Archived