Medical Examination with ADHD

Carl12

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem that worries me a lot.

My family and I applied for a permanent visa last year.

Since we are not in Australia, we have not undergone any medical examination yet.

Now the problem. I've just been diagnosed with adult ADHD.

It is of the milder variety, but this is after all a mental health problem.

The reason I sought treatment for this was that I never felt calm.

This was several years ago. But the tests was now late in the autumn.

I could not see this as a barrier to my visa, before I started reading here at pomsinoz.

I might have been a bit naive.

No one has noticed this during my time as a child or even later.

Unlike others with the same diagnosis (not all) I have performed very well in school and in careers.

The tests also show that I have a high intellect, but lack of attention and concentration.

My psychiatrist suggests that would start medication with stimulants.

I have been reading a lot about this on pomsinoz,

and it seems that some who have children with ADHD have managed to get their visas.

But I wonder how they will look at it when it's the primary applicant it concerns.

I have tried to find out how they think. Since I have already gone through the investigation,

there is nothing more to do except treatment. The only treatment I am recommended is medicine.

Is there anyone here who has applied for a visa with this diagnosis or know of any similar cases?

Hello Again,

Thanks for your replies.

Just as craigyboy says, I'm not sure if it is a mental health problem or not.

Some countries classify it as a learning disability while others classify it as a mental disorder.

Personally, I would probably say that it is a mental health problem.

The easy way would of course be to not inform about this at all.

But I do not feel comfortable in withholding information that they might think that I should have told about.

And also, if I want to continue to get my medicine in Australia, I will have to seek out a psychiatrist.

When they see that I'm not informed about this in my application, I might have major problems that could lead to get my visa revoked.

I feel very unsure of how they will look at this.

I find no information on similar cases online.

This is a lifelong diagnosis. I will I have to pay for the medicines by myself, as it is not on their PBS list for adults.

But those who are medicated with this type of medicines, must go on a follow-up health check every year,

where they check the blood pressure and little else. This may discourage them from giving us a visa.

• 6 years later...
On 12/01/2013 at 00:18, Carl12 said:

Hello Again,

Thanks for your replies.

Just as craigyboy says, I'm not sure if it is a mental health problem or not.

Some countries classify it as a learning disability while others classify it as a mental disorder.

Personally, I would probably say that it is a mental health problem.

The easy way would of course be to not inform about this at all.

But I do not feel comfortable in withholding information that they might think that I should have told about.

And also, if I want to continue to get my medicine in Australia, I will have to seek out a psychiatrist.

When they see that I'm not informed about this in my application, I might have major problems that could lead to get my visa revoked.

I feel very unsure of how they will look at this.

I find no information on similar cases online.

This is a lifelong diagnosis. I will I have to pay for the medicines by myself, as it is not on their PBS list for adults.

But those who are medicated with this type of medicines, must go on a follow-up health check every year,

where they check the blood pressure and little else. This may discourage them from giving us a visa.

I know it's been a while, any updates for your situation?