Unix / Linux Admins from Ireland or UK in Brisbane or Melbourne

CliveReilly

Folks,

How are you all keeping. I am a Unix / Linix admin in Ireland and was wondering what it's like on the ground to land a good job in Australia.

I have a good job in Ireland, family, house etc .... so you could say settled. But I have started my visa application for Australia and have my eye on Brisbane. Maybe it is all fairytale - but lets see. We have been discussing it for the last 2 years - so decided to start the application.

The reason I opened this thread was to get an idea from people in the same field as myself, living in Australia, what exactly it is like to land good employment.

I hear lots of stories generally about employment (not necessarily IT), that there are lots of jobs, but lots of applicants - so difficult to land an interview.

I have also seen quite a lot that it is difficult to break into employment as you are not native.

I also hear a lot that you need to start your career again and build up your Australian experience.

If you could share your experiences, difficulties, differences between home and Australia etc ..... I would really appreciate it.

Lastly I use http://www.seek.com.au - is this the only website or are there others? Agencies seem to be used / respected a lot more in Oz (just my feeling) - would you agree?

Cheers,

Clive

• 4 weeks later...

Archived