Nurses? Working holiday visa?

Guest lulum1986

Guest lulum1986

Just wondering if any of you are finding or have found it hard getting the APHRA application together. It seems so pointless. Do you have to tell the NMC that you are going to work in Australia and do you know if this will be a problem for when you return to the UK can you then continue work as normal?

Guest Guest26012

Hope you get some replies on here. Try posting on the nurses section, I'm sure lots on there will have answers for you, good luck!

My mum and sister are here on 457s as nurses, which isn't quite your question, but as I understand it, in order to get your APHRA application you have to get something from the NMC anyway, so you don't have 'to tell them as such'. You just need to make sure that you keep up your NMC registration while out of the country. That way, any work/hours you do in Australia, will count towards your annual required hours.

The APHRA application process is very long winded, but as long as you read ALL the information and include EVERYTHING they ask for in the CONDITION that they ask for, you won't have a problem. If it says certified copy, that's what you send. Don't send anything else. Just read, re-read and double check each thing. And of course, without it, you won't be able to work as a nurse over here, so it isn't pointless if that's what you want to do! :)

I am now registered with AHPRA. It was a while ago now but I remember it being quite lengthy and needing to do a IElLTs English test to prove I can speak English! You will need to get a lot of documents certified, get the university to send across your transcript and the NMC need to send something direct to AhPRA too to say that you are registered with them.

you don't need to let them know when you leave but you do need to keep up your registration while you're away (pay your yearly fee) otherwise you may need to re-register in UK (which apparantly can be more difficult than registering with AHPRA).

hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info

Emma x

Guest lulum1986

Well I'm waiting till about feb to start because by then I would have done my I'V trainingmand I would have had a few more months on my ward experience lol.

If you haven't asked your uni for a transcript yet, I would get on and do that, even if you don't put in your AHPRA for a while. The university transcript was one of the headaches for my mum and sister. They can take up to 8wks to come - my mum's took 10 and held everything up! It will also cost about £50 (depending on uni) to get it. While you might not be doing the actual application now, there are some things you can start to chase and prepare ahead of time, so when you do get to that part, it's there ready and waiting.

As for the IELTS test, you only need to do that if you are planning on going under an individual skilled migrant visa/regional/state sponsorship. If you are doing 457 or working holiday, it's not needed, so you probably don't have to worry about that. As long as you went to school in the UK and got you diploma/degree at a UK university, and hold a UK passport, that is sufficient enough to prove your English skills. My mum did the test because she was over the age bracket for individual skilled migrant visa, so had to go the 457 route, and she just wanted to prove to everyone that she was committed. My sister didn't bother at all because she just went 457 and didn't even consider individual skilled migrant visa cos of the cost and wait time! She will probably wait for her employer to sponsor her for PR if and when the time comes.

If you are doing skilled migrant visa for permanent residency, you'll be scored on the points test. Doing the IELTS test can add to your score if you get 8s or 9s. I was going for state sponsorship before my job was removed :-( and I did the IELTS because it gave me an extra 20 points and sent me rocketing up the points scale - higher points = more priority :-)