Moving to Central Coast - advice on the region please?

AndyD69

Hi everyone, new to the site so please go easy :)

I am looking at moving our family from Leeds to lake Macquarie area or similar. I have family in Tumbi Umbi (near the entrance) and we have a base there for as long as required.

I am a designer (websites, graphics) and also have been Marketing Director. My wife is in social media and administration etc. I run my own business here and it is in part transferable, but for a visa I would take a job initially.

Can anyone help with work in the region... How difficult or otherwise it is in this area to find work in this field?

Also, where is good to live in the area? It all looks amazing when compared to suburban Leeds!

Any advice more than welcome.

Andy

Hi

we have lived here now for 6 years from the South in the UK Chelmsford, living in a Suburb called Hamlyn Terrace about half hour from Tumbi, it is good that you have family here that will help a lot.

Jobs aren't that easy to come by i used to work in Admin, but have not got a job in a call centre.

You would probably be best to find your own accommodation asap as living with family friends can turn in to a nightmare as it did for us with friends, as much as you love each other it can be very hard,

Lake Macquarie is lovely and there is a nice Resort there that you can rent places called Raffertys. We go there quite a lot as we have a Boat now bought last year, one of our dreams moving to Oz, certainly wouldn't have had that in the UK lol!!

Some great places to live but shop around and your family would probably be able to advise you there. Are you moving here with children?

Happy to help if needed

Frances and mark

Hi Frances and Mark! Thanks for your kind words. We'd love to keep in touch for any advice you can offer!

Yes, we are bringing family - a girl 8, boy 7 and potentially my eldest aged 17 (that's up in the air at the moment).

I'd love a boat too, a dream which would never happen here as you say.

Do you know much about Newcastle area? More chance for work there I hear. Maybe a creative marketing role for an established business..

Hope to speak soon.

Andy

My Husband works in Newcastle a lot so he would know more about the area, as regards your job i wouldn't be an expert in that field, Yes Newcastle is probably good for you as a Main Town, however Gosford also about an hours drive is also a big town for work, that is actually where i work at the moment, my husbands job he mainly works in Newcastle /Central Coast area and travels around a bit. How have you been inquiring about work at the moment?

Maybe we could meet up with you somewhere when you get here to have a chat!! we have two children 22 and 19 they were just 13 and 16 when we moved here, it is harder when they are at that age, but wasn't too bad for us, the younger ones will adapt easier!!

Hi Frances, thanks again for your advice. We'd love to meet up when we get there. I've been updating my CV with the guys at Immi Bureau to see where we go - flings crossed. We've taken a look at Gosford/Woy Woy and it looks great too, more job opps I think? I wasn't sure whether we could afford the property down there, but it appears similar.

We are so excited" just need a few things to get moving now!

Regards, Andy

Hi, you will probably find the best thing to do living on central coast will be to travel in to sydney, for the better jobs, you can get the train in from gosford, we live in terrigal and its beautiful and a 20 min drive to gosford station, definatly stay with relatives when you get here because the places you think you would like to live when your in England really are different when you get here, I don't want to upset anyone and give names but just look properly, good luck

Hi Andy

i may be able to help you with temporary accommodation if you are interested, my husband and I have just bought a investment property and we are looking at renting our home fully furnished for approx 6 months while we renovate, the house is on st Hubert's island and will probably be available from about the end of may, only just in the process of buying so not sure of the dates yet.

thanks Tracey

Archived