Much needed advise regards nurse and daughter moving to Mackay

nurseoz

Hi Guys,

I will apologise now for this may be a long thread and I have never done it before.

I have been offered a nursing post at Mater Hospital in Mackay. I’ve decided to take the post but there are lots of questions that I need to ask and who better to ask but you guys that are already there, so please, please, please can you help?

I’m a single parent with an 11yr old daughter (just turned 11yrs) so there would be just me and her coming out. My main worry is the lack of support in regards to shift patterns etc and being there for my daughter. Obviously this is something I will discuss further with my employee but as general info goes can anyone answer the following:

Schooling:

- Which primary schools are decent in Mackay and where are they?

- Would you say private school is better?

- Approx cost of private school?

- Are there any after and before school clubs? If so approx cost per hr/session and times open to and from?

- What age do they start secondary school? Which secondary schools are good too?

- Is there a decent University near by or would we have to move when that time comes?

Living in Mackay:

- What is Mackay truly like? Is it very rural and small? What amenities are there?? Cinemas, bowling, eating out, shopping malls etc? I’m not after living somewhere like Brisbane but I come from a place near Bury in Lancashire. I’d like to think I could compare it size wise to Bury.

- Is Mackay safe? Safe as in crime and safe as in beaches safe to be on in respect of crocodiles? I know there will be sharks but want to be able to enjoy the beach without looking behind me ever five minutes. Not sure if this is possible? Are there nice beaches available?

- Climate in Mackay? Is it bearable? I’ve heard it’s very very hot and humid. Just wondering how new pomsinoz are dealing with it?

- Also been warned about the mosquitoes? Are they a problem too?

- What’s the cost of living? Things I’m looking at are every day items: petrol, electricity, food (bread, milk, potatoes, meat, and eggs), eating out, cinema, prescriptions, and dentist charges?

- Also been told rent is expensive. I’d like to rent a three bedroom place for when friends and family come over but not sure if I’m going to be forced to get something like a two bedroom apartment. :0(Looking at a very old thread someone said you don’t have to pay council tax or rates regardless of renting or buying a home? Is this true? Could some one give me an approximate figure per month which would include rent, tax, rates, water and electricity? I know it’s an individual thing but would give me an idea if I could survive. Don’t want to uproot my daughter to then struggle and then have to return to the UK. I want it to be a realistic move and not a fairy tail!

- Which area of Mackay is reasonable to live in regards cost of living, safety and nice area to bring a child up in?

- What is the tax % on wages; average wages per single person, VAT charged by Mackay or Queensland which ever, car tax, MOT, NI contribution and pensions?

- In your opinion how much money would you say I’d need to live on per week to live comfortably without killing myself work wise? I’m being offered a job that is going to pay $37.86 an hour for a 30hrs week not 37.5. That is basic with out any shift or penalty rates (what ever that is) or on call allowance. I’m sure I can increase the hours if need be but that is the same as what I work in my NHS job here but then I do do bank work too when I need to.

Car:

- My friend said it may be worth me importing my car. I have an Audi A4. Not new but 1996. Although it’s done just over 190,000 miles it’s been a real gem. I need to work out if it’s worth popping it in the container but it all depends on import tax? Has anyone done this and how much did you get charged? Is it a real pain in the bottom to sort out? Is it worth it over all? If I’m honest I’d love to buy and American muscle car but again not sure if you guys have them in Oz and if so the cost. I need to way up if it’s cheaper to bring my car or buy one when I’m there. I do not want a Japanese import though. If anything I’d want to settle for another Audi but it doesn’t have to be new, haven’t the money for that. I’d need to know if I’d have to modify my car if you guys advise me to bring it.

- Finally I know I’ve mentioned it above but how much is car tax, MOTs insurance etc per year. Plus if I did bring my Audi does any one know if a garage would touch it when work needed doing to it and are there parts available for an Audi of that age?

Think that will have to do for now. I’m sure you’re all bored with my questions. I apologise for it being such a long thread but I would be very grateful for any help and advice offered. I want to get all my facts right before I change the course of both myself and my daughter’s life…hope fully forever and for the better.

Thanks Guys

nurseoz

Hi Nurseoz!Sorry can't help with the Mackay questions,I've never lived there,I come from SA!I can help with groceries though!Google Coles or Woolworths (AU)and do a virtual shop.You'll need a local postcode so just google the hospitals thats offered you the job.Not sure about that state,but in SA you pay for schooling (public and private)and you can either pay by term or yearly.After school clubs are pretty common in Australia so just google those in Mackay and you should find some info.Personally I believe if you live within your means,you should manage.I cooked alot from scratch,and baked alot when my kids were younger and this seemed the norm.Best of luck for your potential move,hope it all works out for you and daughter.xx

Archived