wood worm treatment for oak bed - what charges likely for radiation in Oz?

Tuosist

Hello,

My husband made a lovely oak bed we would like to bring with us to Oz.

It has several holes in it which I assume might be wood worm. Is is it worth getting it treated and certified before we go or just waiting for it to happen on arrival at customs in Oz?

Does anyone have experience of this and how much it might cost at either end?

Thanks very much

It probably won't get checked. We brought a lot of wooden furniture, much of it antique and therefore subject at some point in the past to a bit of chewing from our old friend the furniture beetle. Nobody looked. If they (AQIS) treat it then I believe the bills are pretty steep, but I'm not sure they'd accept an earlier treatment anyway - only proves you killed anything at the time it was done. It's pretty obvious if worm is "live" and one would hope the inspectors would be suitably clued up. But I guess you never know

You can use a paste of Colemans mustard powder on the holes to make sure that on the offchance that there are any live beetles, they will leave pretty quickly, then you can fill the holes with some warm beeswax / resin if you want to be really sure.

Millie x

Thanks for the replies

I have some Coleman's powder, will give it a whirl!

Thanks Millim

I wanted a rough idea of charges, I have looked at the AQIS website however charges seem to be per hour and I can't make sense of it.

As I am on a budget, if its likely to be a high figure I won't bother bringing the bed.

thanks for your help everyone

I know what you mean

I threw a stieff bear in with my shipping with his paperwork hoping for the best. I think I will have to pay for them to nuke it but we will see what happens. It arrives in Brissy on 5th January so I should find out son after that

Millie x

Hi

We are bringing an Oak unit and 'Cubes' in wood we did not need to have a fumigation cert as if they think the goods need it here they will do it again anyway...We have been quoted $200 for the lot if it needs it..I would just send it over and wait to see if they say it needs to be done, probably not even worry about it.

Di

Archived