Moving to Aus 2013 alone - any tips?

JonnoA

Hey all,

So I've got a job and awaiting final visa confirmation, but provisionally moving over end of Jan to Sydney.

Im single so going it alone (know 4 or 5 people there from Uni and work previously but wanna start fresh too)

Any advice for a 29 yr old Londoner making their first forays into the majestic outback? So far main tips I've gotten are to get into Aussie rules football and burn my London city suits!

Cheers,

Jon

Well I think you should get a map, Sydney is not the outback.

:laugh:

Also if you wear a suit to work in London and your job is in a similar line, then you probably won't want to burn those suits just yet. Australians in the city can be quite formal. :wink:

Hehe Rupert...oops on the outback comment. Minis 1 to me already!

Suit wise, just a comment from my new MD who flew over in November. Got a lovely blue chalk stripe at he joked wouldn't go down too well :P

Well each office is individual of course and maybe your office will have a flexible work code. But on the whole, there is no real difference in standards of attire between London and Sydney, Australians can be quite traditional at heart.

Sydney in particular can be quite traditional in terms of business dress, especially in the city and especially in financial services if you are doing anything related to that (and if the business is on George St you may well be!). I am still suited up most days and if I'm in the city dealing with clients/financiers, always. So don't burn 'em! Even if your office is a bit more casual than that, being smart will always make you stand out in a good way. I'm really glad I have my London tailor made suits because good suits here are pricey and there aren't so many of them

PS In Sydney the game to follow is NRL (Rugby League). I can thoroughly recommend it, the level of skills and competition is intense, it helps that half the top teams are from the Sydney region so there's always a local derby on. There is an Aussie Rules team - they won the grand final last year - but it's a bit fake as it's a transplanted franchise from Melbourne. I came here with an open mind as far as winter sport was concerned, I got put off Rugby (Union) because the NSW Waratahs were so awful last year, AFL never grabbed me (I'm sure if I lived in Victoria it would have), but THE game here is league (locally known just as "footy").

Sydney in particular can be quite traditional in terms of business dress, especially in the city and especially in financial services if you are doing anything related to that (and if the business is on George St you may well be!). I am still suited up most days and if I'm in the city dealing with clients/financiers, always. So don't burn 'em! Even if your office is a bit more casual than that, being smart will always make you stand out in a good way. I'm really glad I have my London tailor made suits because good suits here are pricey and there aren't so many of them

PS In Sydney the game to follow is NRL (Rugby League). I can thoroughly recommend it, the level of skills and competition is intense, it helps that half the top teams are from the Sydney region so there's always a local derby on. There is an Aussie Rules team - they won the grand final last year - but it's a bit fake as it's a transplanted franchise from Melbourne. I came here with an open mind as far as winter sport was concerned, I got put off Rugby (Union) because the NSW Waratahs were so awful last year, AFL never grabbed me (I'm sure if I lived in Victoria it would have), but THE game here is league (locally known just as "footy").

The 'bloods' get bigger crowds in Sydney than any NRL franchise. This year with the Tippett saga crowds will be up again. A large police presence has already been organised for the Swans first clash with the Adelaide Crows. Can't bloody wait!

Archived