Travelling around in 2013

Guest c20letvan

Guest c20letvan

Well decided am going to get saving and get myself over to australia backpacking for holiday and work for a year.

Firstly am going alone as i think it will motivate me to meet new people but also i wont have to compromise with other people and i am free to do as i wish.

I will ideally be going in october/november 2013 and stay for a year.

I'll be stopping in the hostels and keeping everything as cheap as possible.

Few questions.

How easy is it to find work and whats the pay like?

Which place is best to start and where to go?

Is there any forums i can meet people before going so i have a few options to travel with etc?

Appreciate the help

Regards

Guest Bazinga

My nephew came over in November and met a few people in Sydney who is he going to be having Christmas with then he's going to Tasmania to do his 88 days rural work to get a 2nd year. Follow the work, look at the links on the sticky threads on this forum. There are loads of forums out there re fruit picking work etc.

When you are arriving that's the time a lot of retailers start to recuit casual workers for Xmas so you could get something short term thru that. I know a lot of people get jobs thru the hostels ad hoc.

Depending on how you are with hot weather I'd go NSW/SA/VIC or Tasmania over summer then head up WA/NT/QLD for autumn/winter.

Good luck.

Remember for bar work you need a RSA which varies state to state and any site/building/painting work needs a white card. You can do these as online courses tho.

Fairly easy to find work, do you have any skills/experience? That'll put you in good stead for the start in finding a job to begin with, then once you get a good Australian reference it'll probably be a doddle to find just casual work. General rate in hospitality is around $20per hour. Which ain't bad.

Wheres the best place to start? Well that all depends on what you wanna do! I think lots of people start at Cairns and work their way down, or start in Sydney/Melbourne and work their way up. All depends on what you fancy doing, how much you fancy working, how much travelling you want to do etc....

I'm out here on my own, found a job within a week and a house a week later. Met fair few people through work, but probably hostels is the best place to meet people as everyone is in the same boat there. Brisbane is HOT that time of year. So far it's got up to 40°C at times and that is rather unbearable. As well as it not feeling christmassy at all! It's summer!

Edit: Also, the lonely planet website has a forum section on finding travel partners, maybe try there to find some people to travel with?

Guest c20letvan

Thanks for the reply guys,

Well first i've got family in brisbane so will be heading there for a week or two, any particular routes i should take? My journey will consist of working, partying and seeing australia. so a nice even mix would be good. I may spend the last month in some kind of apartment and just relax and party basically.

Qualifications wise i have a pretty broad area, which includes health and safety, solar power, GSCE's, A levels, Foundation degree in engineering, reception/administration experience, for the past 6 months ive worked with jewellery in a pawnbrokers and also recently become a manager to look after a team of 5 people. So should have no problem getting a job, also done a lot of factory/warehouse work and landscape gardner so manual labour is fine.

Ideally i'd like to party, work and travel and come home with more money than i went with, is this possible? ha

Archived