Sandgate, Brighton or Manly

bigbadcon

Hi folks,

We think we are going to look for a property to rent in one of the Bayside suburbs of Brisbane.

We initially thought Manly but are now considering Sandgate and maybe brighton.

Is the beach in sandgate a lot better than manly? It seems to be from the pictures I have seen...

We arent looking at Redcliffe due to there being no train line.

I will be working from home so commuting to the cbd isnt too much of an issue for the first year or so anyway so would like to stay within a 40 min train journey and also close to a train line.

Has anyone got any opinions on these bayside suburbs for a young family with a baby?

Thanks for your help...

bigbadcon

I live in Brighton.

Prior to coming over we also considered Manly, Lota etc, but since my place of work is north of the river, we settled for a northern suburb.

Although Redcliffe doesn't have a station, there are bus services to the city, and quite a frequent service to Sandgate station. If you're anyway working from home then I get the availability of PT isn't an overriding concern.

Sandgate has a sandy shoreline, and in the UK it would be classed as a beach, but it isn't a patch on the beaches further north. Bribie is only 30 minutes from there, and Caloundra well under an hour. But that to me is an advantage, because at low tide you can walk along 6km of front with hardly anyone there.

Redcliffe also has a beach which is a bit more populated. great for a weekday arvo. And a little nippers club, and a free lagoon style pool.

Best thing is to do a rece when you arrive.

FYO, Sandagate is about 10% more expensive than Brighton, and Redcliffe is cheaper than both, depending where you live.

Don't be put off Redcliffe just because of the lack of railway line. It is only a 10 minute drive to get to Sandgate station (or at least it is for us from Woody Point). It is also a lovely drive over the bridge! Agreed that you're best to decide when you get here. You might even not make a definitive decision straightaway. Try renting in a couple of places till you find the area you like.

Archived