Travel Insurance

Apimentel204

I feel like I've found the best deal possible with World Nomads. Covers medical, lost or stolen luggage/belongins, cancelation/interuption, travel accident.

the cost is $436 CAD for 6 months.

Just seeing if anyones used WN or has tips for any other travel insurance options?

Edited by Apimentel204

Just got some travel insurance 3 weeks ago as we had a trip to India booked (just returned).My bankcard covers me for travel within Europe (free)but quoted me £50 for me and OH and that covers any travel outside the EU for a year which I thought was pretty good.It covers you from the time you take the cover out,and when the year is nearly up,they send a reminder if you wish to take up cover again.

I used WN and had to make a claim with them when I got dengue fever in Thailand, and when my phone was nicked in Vietnam. They were pretty prompt at dealing with both claims - I was doing everything by email as didn't have good enough internet connection to skype, so if I'd have phoned they might have been even better. I thought the level of cover they offered was excellent...however, when I got to Australia I let the cover lapse as I didn't really see the point - it won't cover you if you're working in a manual labour job (such as farming, fruit picking etc, which most people will be for at least some of the time), I hadn't booked my flight home (still haven't!) so didn't need to worry about cancellations, any driving I did if it was my main way of travelling would not be covered so you'd need separate insurance and as I'm English, medical cover is free once you've got your medicare number (think it's the same for Canadians). I've just got to make sure I look after my stuff! If you've got your flights booked, loads of trips and tours booked etc then it's probably worth it.

I used WN and had to make a claim with them when I got dengue fever in Thailand, and when my phone was nicked in Vietnam. They were pretty prompt at dealing with both claims - I was doing everything by email as didn't have good enough internet connection to skype, so if I'd have phoned they might have been even better. I thought the level of cover they offered was excellent...however, when I got to Australia I let the cover lapse as I didn't really see the point - it won't cover you if you're working in a manual labour job (such as farming, fruit picking etc, which most people will be for at least some of the time), I hadn't booked my flight home (still haven't!) so didn't need to worry about cancellations, any driving I did if it was my main way of travelling would not be covered so you'd need separate insurance and as I'm English, medical cover is free once you've got your medicare number (think it's the same for Canadians). I've just got to make sure I look after my stuff! If you've got your flights booked, loads of trips and tours booked etc then it's probably worth it.

Helpful! Thanks. Yeah the only thing there that would concern me is potentially getting injured at work.

Helpful! Thanks. Yeah the only thing there that would concern me is potentially getting injured at work.

Most employers are covered by workers' comp (think it's a requirement so they should be!) which will pay your medical bills, wages whilst you're recovering (in some cases - depends how long you've been there) etc.