15 year old and worried about education

candt

Hi,

Me and my family are moving to NSW around august 2013, the problem is we know nothing about schools and the education system in Australia and we have a 15 year old that is worried it will ruin his chances of good grades.

At what age do Australian kids take there final exams?

Will the move be much of a problem for him?

Looking to reassure him really.

Cheers

Craig

Guest katie007
Hi,

Me and my family are moving to NSW around august 2013, the problem is we know nothing about schools and the education system in Australia and we have a 15 year old that is worried it will ruin his chances of good grades.

At what age do Australian kids take there final exams?

Will the move be much of a problem for him?

Looking to reassure him really.

Cheers

Craig

Visit

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/

99% of you answers are in here.

Is he 15 now? When's his birthday? Moving won't necessarily mean poor grades, but I can understand his concerns. It would be best for him to move before the start of year 11 do the full two year course leading to the HSC.

If you can't do that you need to talk to schools about whether or not they will 'credit' his GCSEs, if he will have done them by then. I know in Melbourne they will do this (a certain number of A - C grades at GCSE will transfer to 'satisfactory completion of year 11'), but it's not ideal IMHO.

It will also depend on what he wants to do after school.

In Australia they finish school at 17/18, like here, but the cut off dates for each year are different from here (and different from state to state, just to make it more confusing!). The cut off date for NSW is 31st July at state schools, but private schools have their own. For our girls' school it was the end of April!

He should be ok then. He would be going into year 10 next Feb. If you go in Aug he will have a term and a bit to settle before the work starts in year 11.

The only problem then would be you came back to the UK before the end of year 12, or he doesn't settle (which may affect his grades).