Penrith

Guest missyb

Guest missyb

Hello,

I will soon be moving to Sydney with my partner and young daughter. My partner has a job in Penrith. Does anyone know what Penrith is like as a place to live, bring up a family? Which areas are the nicest? Are there any other areas you can reccomend that are easily accesible to Penrith?

Many Thanks

Guest mark78

Penrith is apart of the Western Suburbs, which is the worst area in Sydney to live. The crime rate is high, house prices are low (compared to other Syd suburbs). There are worse suburbs you could be living in (Mt Druitt for example).

As an alternative, I would suggest looking into buying/renting in the suburb of Glenmore Park. It's only about 5mins from Penrith, but it's a newish estate with some nice houses and the crime rate would be less. It also has a family feel and some nice parks for the kids. Oh and I believe it has a school too.

Or of course, you might be able to afford to live out of the Western Suburbs. In that case I would suggest places like Castle Hill/Baulkham Hills. They're about a 1/2 drive from Penrith, but alot more classy.

Overall, the North Shore would be the best (and most expensive) place to live in Syd. The drive for hubby everyday in peak hour would be a nightmare out to Penrith though (it would probably take well over 1 hour each way).

Guest missyb

Thankyou for your advice.

When you say crime rates are high, can you compare it to somewhere in the UK that would be similar. What sort of crime? Is it the sort of place you wouldn't walk around on your own in the day/night? Is there no community atmosphere?

Also, someone has reccomended Paramatta as an alternative, do you know what this is like?

Cheers

Guest mark78

Sorry, not sure where to compare it to, as I'm yet to see anywhere in UK which is as bad. (I've only lived in Edinburgh, and visited London).

Car thefts and burgulay's would be your main concern, as the Penrith/Parramatta area has the highest theft rates in Australia. Insurance is a must.

There's not much difference between Parramatta and Penrith, other than Parramatta is bigger and busier and costs more to live in. Personally I wouldn't bother with there as your hubby will just have to travel everyday in heavy peak hour traffic to and from a place which at the end of the day is no more pleasant than Penrith.

If I were female, I would not walk anywhere in Sydney at night alone. During the day you should be fine though.

As I posted before, check out Glenmore Park. It's close to Penrith but is alot better & worth looking in to.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I moved to the Penrith area from Leeds, UK and the crime rates are nothing like the UK. I have never had my car so much as scratched let alone stolen. I'm not saying its crime free, far from it but there are nice areas around Penrith worth trying. Emu Plains is nice, The Lower Blue Mountains is gorgeous, Lapstone , Glenbrook, Blaxland and Springwood. All commutable by train or car to Penrith and no heavy traffic! Windsor and Richmond further north are nice but you'd need a car to get to Penrith and travel to central Sydney becomes longer from these places.

Penrith itself is not too bad either. Like any part of any major conurbation it has its dodgy areas and its nice areas. I would tend to avoid St Mary's, Mt Druit, Blacktown and most places between Parramatta and Penrith. Glenmore Park is ok but pretty far from the train line so you need your own transport.

Ian

Guest johnharte

I'm currently moving from York back to penrith and I cant wait...! IanH is right... Wherever you go you find pros and cons! Western Sydney is great...

John

• 4 months later...
Guest welshhuw

hi,

i lived in the Penrith area of Cambridge Park for 4 years as a teen!

its a lot busier now i believe!

over the neapean is a little nicer i think ?! emu plains. with train links. and only 2 mins from penrith town centre.

rent is best at first to get the feel of the whole area.

Sorry but with a son a police officer and actualy lived in glenmore park terrible school compared to the u.k,We have lived in Jammisontown,penrith center, and now in St Clair all have good and bad.Crime in Penrith is nothing to the u.k mostly kids board like most city centers.

Our sons were used to a grammer school education and out of trying 4 schools found St Clir and Erskin park the best in the area unless you pay private then Penrith Anglcan

Archived