Vic Uni OTSR Electricians practical assesment

cordanuk

Well Friday I think I must have been the first OTSR to sit his offshore practical assesment onshore with Vic Uni in Melbourne because of the fiasco with Energy safe Victoria.

I arrived at 8:30 to wire up a booth with a light on a 2way switch in flexitube and plastic conduit. Then wire up a socket. Oh Btw wiring them in ausy equipment!

Then off to wire up a DOL fisrt make a drawing of the control circuit then wire up in real and test.

Next was some basic Ohms law stuff with resistors in parralel and series with calcs on current at this point a,b,c etc.

A simple exam about basic theory multiple choice. Then I had to do a disconect reconect to ausy standards that I had explaine to me only 5 mins before, oh and the kicker I had to be videoed for the whole thing to prove I wasnt cheating.

The ironic thing was that during the day I got to understand why they are doing the 12month log book. The uni lecturers appologised so many time to me for putting me through all this because "Brit sparks know their stuff and we dont want to tell you how to suck eggs". But the main reason for the logs were the amount of OTSRs issued to Far east "Electricians" has proved an bad thing now they are having to set the bar for people to pass.

Even more disturbing was that being told just before I leave that "between you and me you pissed the tests and if you havnt got any job sorted out by mid Jan give me a call and you can come here and teach to our 1st and 2nd year apprentices.

Archived