First post- working holiday visa tax issues

Hello all. Been a big reader of this forum for a while now and have finally booked flights to Perth at the end of Jan. Myself and my girlfriend will be heading over after a few years of me pressing the issue.

I have got my whv as I am 29 and I am a site engineer/ engineering surveyor of 7 years. I am in talks with numerous construction companies about possible roles. I have been reluctant to go down the 457 sponsorship route as my gf is still not sold on the idea for anything more than a year.

I was just looking for info on cases where people have used the whv for more than just a backpacking job and what are the implications of it as I am aware there has been changes in the taxes.

I am hoping things work out and we go for the 457 visa as cannot wait to get out of UK. We are renting a holiday rental in Safety Bay which we have had a great deal on. Any info on the area would be great.

Thanks

Paddy

Guest katie007
Hello all. Been a big reader of this forum for a while now and have finally booked flights to Perth at the end of Jan. Myself and my girlfriend will be heading over after a few years of me pressing the issue.

I have got my whv as I am 29 and I am a site engineer/ engineering surveyor of 7 years. I am in talks with numerous construction companies about possible roles. I have been reluctant to go down the 457 sponsorship route as my gf is still not sold on the idea for anything more than a year.

I was just looking for info on cases where people have used the whv for more than just a backpacking job and what are the implications of it as I am aware there has been changes in the taxes.

I am hoping things work out and we go for the 457 visa as cannot wait to get out of UK. We are renting a holiday rental in Safety Bay which we have had a great deal on. Any info on the area would be great.

Thanks

Paddy

As you will be on the ground, and with your skills, you should find a casual 6 Month Job, you need to be and meet lot's of others in the same trade as you, as a lot if not most jobs are from others in the game, so speak up, find out who is employing, make sure you have made a resume to suit outlining the key skills you have and make a phone call to the one you have been told to call.

Australia is all about word of mouth, if you act and present well you will have no issues.

For the long term, while you are on the 417 TWHV you should ask any employer one main Q?

Can you Sponsor on 457 Sublass Visa and they are DIAC Approved. If you show you are 100% dedicated and turn up for work every day and accept the overtime you will make a lasting impression and will benefit from it.

Best of luck to you.

There seems to be plenty of work in WA for construction which is good news. That is why I didn't want to sign up to a job while in uk as I have heard some horror stories of people locked into their jobs as they have been sponsored.

Will I be taxed at a higher rate than normal? And are there any other factors I should consider when on the whv I.e medical costs etc?

thanks

Archived