Best time to travel??

DenKav

Hello everyone. My name is Denny and I'm 26 from Birmingham. I am planning on going to Oz at some point next year on my own. The date I had in mind was the 1st March but obviously that is towards the end of summer so I was wondering whether people tend to travel at this time? I would like to go ASAP but its a bit short notice for this year which is why I was thinking early march. Does anybody else plan on going out at around this time & what are your travel plans while you're there? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

If you want to do your regional work to get your second year WHV you need to time some of your year to fit in with the fruit picking season and so on. I'd not leave that to the last minute either as it doesn't always pan out and if you can get it out of the way early on its better.

If you don't plan on doing your regional work or staying for a second year, it shouldn't really matter when you arrive, just ensure you do your homework on where to land and start of work wise at that time of year in Aus. If you want to stay for the second year, perhaps rethink your timings or at least make sure you allow enough time to do your regional work at the latter end of your year and make sure you get in to do it.

Personally I'd not go out running into an Aus winter as you'd be coming off a UK winter and then wouldn't really have a summer for a long time. I'd prefer to hit Aus in spring or early summer personally.

Thanks for the reply. I am still unsure as to whether I would be applying for my second year visa but does it have to be seasonal work to qualify for a second year? I would have to work to fund some of my travels so does all type of work qualify? I don't fancy waiting a whole year to go so march is the soonest I could realistically go. I have done a little research and have seen that places like Darwin & cairns are hot all year round so is that where most backpackers go during the winter months? I would also like to get over to NZ for some skiing etc so I could do that in the winter months I guess.

winter - dry season - is the best time to be north if you plan to visit that part of australia (darwin, cairns and all the barrier reef coast). other than that, it's fine wherever you are, it just gets colder the further south you go. down here in Canberra we still get a lot of blue sky in winter, we just get a lot of -5 overnights to go with it! and of course we're near the snowfields where you can ski all winter... march is lovely further south, you'd do well to fly into perth, sydney, somewhere like that in march and then work your way north as it gets colder - but if you want to extend then as has been said, check out the seasonal jobs that would qualify you for that to make sure you can fit it in.