Shipping our Family Dog

Guest THEGOLDMANS

Guest THEGOLDMANS

Hi Bob,

I have been speaking to a lady at Pet Air (Joanna), I have had a quote and all is ready, I just wanted to clarify a few things. My husband and I are here in Oz already, my dog is staying with my folks until she can come out (5 months waiting period) We just found out last week, she failed her blood tests for the Rabies, so last Thursday had another vaccination. I know we have 3 weeks till the blood tests, then 5 months from the result before she can be shipped out (this is to lessen the time in quarantine). So you only looking at the beginning of April now? This is very heartbreaking as we are very close. I was wondering is there anyway we can get around this and bring her sooner? I just noticed they might be shortening the quarantine time? She is 5 years old, a Border Collie cross and extremely nervous and scared dog which also gives me doubts about the long flight and quarantine. Your advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, We have 2 lakeland terriers who both seem to suffer from separation anxiety. They survived the flight here to Sydney (arranged by PetAir) and the quarantine period just fine and are now happily settled into their new home. I was so worried about them, and really needn't have been. Good luck!

Dear The Goldmans

You can fly her out sooner, but she would have to stay in quarantine for longer. Basically she is not allowed out of quarantine until 6 months after the rabies blood sample is taken. So if she is happy with your folks, then she is best to stay there. If they cant keep her for longer then either we can board her or she can fly sooner and spend more time in quarantine. Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for but the Australians are super strict about this now. You may get lucky and by the time she is due to fly the quarantine may come down, but no-one knows when that is going to change.

We fly plenty of nervous dogs and they dont like the flight or quarantine but they cope and once they are out the other side they thrive, which is what Happy Violet is saying above.

The best way is to keep her safe and settled with your folks and then have her do the minimum quarantine she can.

Any other questions give us a shout

Bob

Archived