11 weeks and counting! help!!!!

Jamie hall

Hi, I've just been notified this week that my internal transfer to leave rainy London and move to sunny Melbourne has just become a reality!

I will be working in the docklands and will initially come over on my own and stay in short term rented accomodation for two months whilst i find a house to rent for me, the wife, kids and dog.

My kids are 5 & 7 so primary age.

With this happening so quick can you lovely internet people point me in the right direction for:

- Where should we live! ideally coastal and not more than an hour out of docklands by train.

- Will rentals allow dogs? he's a great dane....

- Schools will drive the area, so if the good mixed schools are not coastal - no worries.

All i'm looking for are personal experiences/recommendations and a starting point for me to do research.

Cheers!!!

Hi Jamie.

welcome to PIO, and congrats on the job transfer.

I would firstly suggest spending a lot of time on here, looking at the different sections to pick up as many hints & tips that you can.

Secondly, its not always sunny in Melbourne unfortunately, but it is defintely better than London :)

Look especially in the Victoria section for tips on various places to live.

We came over on a 457, which I am assuming is the same visa as you guys will be coming out on. One thing worth asking your boss is if they are prepared to sponsor you for permanenty residency, and maybe speak to the migration agent handling your visa application if you are applicable to apply straight away or need to wait 2 years. If you have PR, it means if you are for whatever reason laid off or leave your employer, you dont have to leave the country within 28 days. Also you will be able to apply for child benefit on PR, which is not available on a 457 temp visa (unless that has changed in the last couple of years)

If your emplyer is not providing accomodation on arrival, have a look on:

www.stayz.com.a

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/index.html

www.gumtree.com.au (has been known for scams, so be a bit careful)

www.lastminute.com.au

furnished accomodation is not cheap, but for longer periods, prices can be quite negotiable. Unfortunately you guys are arriving mid/late december which is the start of the summer holidays, so the dearest time of year, with less negotiating possibilities.

3-4 weeks is normally enough to find a long term rental, but you might need an extra week because of the xmas/new year break might make finding somewhere a bit slower. A lot of long term rentals have no problem with dogs, although a great Dane might make it a little more difficult of course. We have had lots of new arrivals stay with us, and many have brought over cats & dogs, and none have had any major issues finding rentals quite quickly.

a good place to look for long term unfurnished rentals to give an idea on prices:

www.realestate.com.au

In the transport & shipping section there are lots of threads about shippers with a good indication on the costs. My personal opinion, bring everything! If you dont need it once here, you can hold a garage sale or stick it on ebay. There are 1001 things that you will need to buy/pay for in the first few months, and bringing everything will help minimise the costs.

cars are expensive over here, but shipping your own car is a lot of paperwork, costly and in many cases not worthwhile. Again in the transport & shipping section there are a number of threads regarding bringing your car over.

this will hopefully give you plenty to get on with,

welcome to the rollercoaster ride :)

I am not in Melbourne so cannot help with those practical questions. But don't panic, make lists, we packed up our lives and moved with less than a months notice.

Is your dog all rabies vaccinations up? Things have changed since I moved, pets now need six months quarantine if they do not have the appropriate jabs and tests. Get onto that as a priority if not.

Good luck.

Archived