Travel insurance for validation trip to Perth (family of 4 for 3 weeks)

SaffanZimbo

Does anyone have any recommendations for good travel insurance for our validation trip in March? On the comparison websites there are loads of options but not sure if the cheapest is always the best and tempted to go with the big name companies and pay a bit more.. am I being silly? As visitors to Oz I assume we would have to pay cash up front for any medicals treatment (have very energetic 3 & 5 year olds...).

Shop around for the best one - not sure if money supermarket has a comparision bit. Or try quidco to get some cash back.

We used our bank insurance that we pay for which also covers children.

If you did need to go to a doctor, you would likely need to register with medicare, and you would get a temp card. If you have to pay to visit the doctors, you got to the medicare office with receipt and get some of the money back.

Im sure hospital treatment is free.

Due to you being PR, medical cover will not be a very important factor to cover, so maybe more your bags or flight cancellations. On the last 2 times we have went to Australia, my bag was lost for almost 1 week, and this time Malaysian Airlines lost our buggy, that we gave to them on the Plane to get back at the gate. Thankfully it turned up a day later.

We are just back from validating our visas in Perth last week. We managed to be able not register with medicare. Have waited to get home before getting ill.

Shop around for the best one - not sure if money supermarket has a comparision bit. Or try quidco to get some cash back.

We used our bank insurance that we pay for which also covers children.

If you did need to go to a doctor, you would likely need to register with medicare, and you would get a temp card. If you have to pay to visit the doctors, you got to the medicare office with receipt and get some of the money back.

Im sure hospital treatment is free.

Due to you being PR, medical cover will not be a very important factor to cover, so maybe more your bags or flight cancellations. On the last 2 times we have went to Australia, my bag was lost for almost 1 week, and this time Malaysian Airlines lost our buggy, that we gave to them on the Plane to get back at the gate. Thankfully it turned up a day later.

We are just back from validating our visas in Perth last week. We managed to be able not register with medicare. Have waited to get home before getting ill.

Many thanks for your feedback. Yes, I don't have a good track record with luggage and airlines either as on 2 occassions in the past the airlines have lost my luggage so thanks I will definitely choose the best luggage cover over medical. Both my girls are really healthy but very boisterous so if there is a good A&E nearby we'll be fine.. Have you posted feedback on your validation trip? I'd love to hear how you got on so will keep an eye out for your post.

Archived