Can I live in Canberra without a car?

Guest Guest74865

Gareth, you say you moved out here 2 1/2 months ago but "haven't done a winter yet". I hate to break it to you mate, but the last two and a half months WERE WINTER!

(Ps. With a name like yours you must be Welsh?)

I was going to comment on that but you know how it is

Gareth, you say you moved out here 2 1/2 months ago but "haven't done a winter yet". I hate to break it to you mate, but the last two and a half months WERE WINTER!

(Ps. With a name like yours you must be Welsh?)

Well, winter ran May-August, so he only caught the end of it I'd say.

My hubs did cycle to work right through the winter, in shorts and tshirt (double-layer). He's from Yorkshire though, I blame it on that. It's a 9 mile cycle, and we're moving a couple of miles further south in December so it'll be a bit over 11 miles then, he's still planning to cycle.

• 5 weeks later...

You can live but won't be able to survive :happy_face_vampire_ as your movement will be limited :) Canberra has a wide network of cycle track and drivers are also very friendly with the push bikers. I suggest you to plan a buy a car, Petrol is expensive also if you compare with other big cities.

• 1 month later...
Guest biomedical scientist

We tried the without the whole car thing - it lasted a month! Buses were good but over Chrismas time we were landlocked - we have now been places a bit off the beaten track - bit scary for a Brummie - will stick to the highways from now on! still it's the freedom to come and go as you please. On our 2nd car now (part exchanged 1st one) - both from Lennocks in Phillip - depends what your looking for and if you are looking for second hand. Avoid Fyshwick dealers - very dodgy indeed!! See how you get on now you are here.