PMO

SimoneAL

Hi guys,

Anybody working in a PMO environment out there?

I wonder how much PMO work there is in OZ, how well is actually paid as an average and if there is any future there for this kind of career. I am looking at Canberra and Adelaide in particular, but any information can be useful.

I have been checking seek.com.au, however I am not sure if the job advertised actually reflect the real market. In UK for instance usually only a small percentage of PMO jobs hit those types of websites...

Cheers

Guest guest76088

This is not such a strange question, as who wants their role defined as a room: "Project Management Office" ? Better than being regarded as a "Chair of.." I suppose.

PMO is one of those vague job titles that can be anything from office assistant to Major Programme Manager.

If the OP is asking if there is potential to work in a project management role in Aus the answer is yes. A lot of the infrastructure, defence, construction and mining companies are project driven. PRINCE2 is useful as is PMP.

I am not sure what you expect in terms of "the real picture" vs what one can see on the recruitment websites. Most jobs in any role are filled without advertisement, but unless you have contacts or make speculative applications, how else can you approach it?

BigD

Whats PMO?

I am not sure what you expect in terms of "the real picture" vs what one can see on the recruitment websites. Most jobs in any role are filled without advertisement, but unless you have contacts or make speculative applications, how else can you approach it?

BigD

Hi BigD, thanks for the reply and the information.

I suppose I will have to put together a list of potential employers and find out if they have preferred suppliers for project management roles, even speculative applications could be an option. I will also have to start networking with some already there, ask some good questions and hoping for some good answers, and at the same time let my name circulate and be noted.

I have time to think about this anyway, I haven't even applying for a visa yet and I won't for at least another year.

If I had to base my decision on the adverts I have seen on SEEK only, it would be probably a no-go...

S.

Archived