Renting in Adelaide

Guest Pom3974

Guest Pom3974

:notworthy:Hi everyone new to this so bear with me. Had a look online and this seems to be a really helpful forum, hoping to make some friends in Australia before i even get there!!

Hoping to get to Australia at the end of 2009 depends on my better half's application into the South Australian Police Force!!!!

Heading out around the 4th May for three weeks to do some research, we like the look of south western Adelaide area unless anyone can tell me of a better area or why i should avoid this choice, any feedback really appreciated!!:yes:

Well straight to the questions, sorry if these have already been asked....

What's the easiest way to move all of your belonging out there and if the best option is by an overseas removal company what's the best way to cope with any delay in receiving your belongings as you're sitting there with no chairs in an empty house????

Also has anyone got any information about employment agencies out there for temping in a clerical capacity, and if you can register with them before you go over.

Thanks for looking,

Can't wait to get over there, all the best everyone!!

Tammey xx:jiggy:

Guest ozzyherewecome
:notworthy:Hi everyone new to this so bear with me. Had a look online and this seems to be a really helpful forum, hoping to make some friends in Australia before i even get there!!

Hoping to get to Australia at the end of 2009 depends on my better half's application into the South Australian Police Force!!!!

Heading out around the 4th May for three weeks to do some research, we like the look of south western Adelaide area unless anyone can tell me of a better area or why i should avoid this choice, any feedback really appreciated!!:yes:

Well straight to the questions, sorry if these have already been asked....

What's the easiest way to move all of your belonging out there and if the best option is by an overseas removal company what's the best way to cope with any delay in receiving your belongings as you're sitting there with no chairs in an empty house????

Also has anyone got any information about employment agencies out there for temping in a clerical capacity, and if you can register with them before you go over.

Thanks for looking,

Can't wait to get over there, all the best everyone!!

Tammey xx:jiggy:

hi Tammey,just read your blogg me my husband and three kids hope to make it over to adelaide this year just waiting on application results (all being well we make the grade) we lived there in 2003 i was homesick came back four months later regreted it ever since!! its a fantastic place to be and bring up a family.with answer to one of your questions on moving your things across,i know it was four years since we went but i dont think all has changed that much,we took our stuff over with pickfords removals,they are brill they come out to give you a quote (ours cost £2,500) they come to your home when you decide a date ,we left it 2 weeks before we went they pack all your stuff for you take it away,they have pickfords in adelaide too,when you get there you contact their adelaide branch, they take your details of where you are living and they contact you when your things arrive ours took bang on 6 weeks and they hold it if your not quite ready when it arrives... brill dead friendly out there .hope this helps a little.. goodluck might see you there.... carla i'm a pommie get me out of here..

Guest Pom3974

Thanks for the answer Carla, hope you get over there soon!! Let me know where about you're looking at going and where you lived when you were out there before. I've been looking at the area around Brighton and Marino, somewhere on the western side, is that an ok area or should i keep looking??

Would it be ok to pick your brain in the future, sorry to be a pain?

All the best of luck with your move, and hears to sunnier climates!!!

Tammey x

Guest ozzyherewecome

hi again dont mind if you pick my brains at all anything you need to ask that i may know i'll do my best to help,only discovered this sight a couple of days ago my husband found it by accident,so please be kind if i'm a bit crap at it!!!!we lived in a place called hope valley which is situated in the east of adelaide i think cant be spot on as adelaide is huge and we did nothing but drive around and around after a while the places all look the same..most areas are decent they just seem to have pocket areas which are best to avoid.

probably going to live in a different area as this depends on where kev(husband) gets a job!!

where we lived before looked a bit like Neighbours. ask anything you want i'm dead easy going!! carla x

Guest leanneandmark

Hi there we are going to Adelaide aswell !!!!!!!!

Incase you wanted to know there is a sister site Poms in Adelaide, some are over there and settled. and will be able to help you, i think most are heading to the south but we are thinking of the North for a bit more space. Love the look of Urbrae High School. for the boys.

Guest njacinthebox

Hi,

Was just reading one of your replies. We too, lived in Oz for 2 years and came back, (homesick) been back in UK for just over 2 years now returning later this year. Want to go to Adelaide as property prices look better there at the moment. As you have lived there just wondered if you could give any advice as to best areas, we have looked on property site and like the look of Hallet Cove, Flagstaff Hill, Happy Valley! Do you know these areas? Do you know what the schools are like around these areas at all? Are you dreading the whole moving everything over again like us ! Last time we rented our house in UK out for the 2 years this time we would not do that we would sell and buy there because I think one of the reasons I never settled was because we never owned our own house there and only rented. Any advice would be most welcome.

Jacqui

Guest guys&dolls

Hiya,

We are also going to Adelaide (as soon as we can sell the house!!), What ages are your children? We have two girls aged 8 and 10.

It would be nice to meet up once we all get there and have a drink or two.

Guest njacinthebox

Hi,

Our daughter is 11, we have not been to Adelaide before so would love to make new friends. We lived for a year in Sydney and a year in Perth before coming back ! Anything you can tell us about Adelaide would be most helpful. We been looking at Hallet Cove area, is this a good area? When are you going there?

Guest guys&dolls

Hi,

We have never been to Adelaide but cant wait to get there, we have our visa's so we are just waiting to sell the house which at the moment is proving to be harder than getting the Visa. We sold hubby's car the other day so know it's only mine to sell at the last minute, once the house is sold we will book our flights and be gone, when are you planning on going?

We will be staying in the Glenelg area to start with as that's where the temp accomodation is that we get supplied with my husband's job and will look around all the different areas and make a decision from there.

I have heard that the East of Adelaide is a very good area with really good schools.

Guest Pom3974

Hi guys&dolls

i was reading one of your replies and noticed you were heading to the are of Glenelg, this is the kind of area we are looking at, the western coast. Please can you let me know when you get there what the place is like. We are also looking around Brighton and all the way down to Marino, but as we have only just started the porcess the earliest we can look at getting over there is Aug 09.

Can't wait to get there visiting for three weeks in May.

Tammey x

Guest guys&dolls

Hi Tammey,

When we eventually sell our house and get there (which we hope is soon) I will send you a PM and let you know what the area is like.

Hiya,

We are also going to Adelaide (as soon as we can sell the house!!), What ages are your children? We have two girls aged 8 and 10.

It would be nice to meet up once we all get there and have a drink or two.

Hi there to everyone on this thread :smile::smile:can I join in?

Were off to Adelaide as soon as house is sold too. We've been looking at areas such as Moana, Onkaparinga Hills, Happy Valley which I've been told are all nice suburbs. I've also got 8 and 10 year olds. Schools are apparently good in these areas.

Bec x

:wubclub:

Guest Libby1971

Okay I can help on this one coz I am here in Adelaide!

We rented in Sheidow Park, across the road from Hallett Cove. We were told that identical properties will go for $20k more in Hallett Cove than in Sheidow simply because of an extra 2 mins in the car.

Brighton and Marino are nice areas, bit busier than where I live but good. I can't tell you much about the schools in this area although Brighton High has an okay reputation, it is more to do with the people living in the area than the school itself.

Happy Valley, fab, across the road from us in Reynella East. Reynella East High has a Headmaster who is very well respected. Good school, our girls go there and love it. Aberfoyle Park is nearby and again, very well respected school. Seaford school and Christies Beach schools have poor reputations. If looking at private schools, really really look into it because some are trading purely on reputation. One of the schools I worked at was shockingly bad, apparently one of the better schools in Adelaide and I found the kids in Reynella East and Aberfoyle Park nicer, better mannered, more hardworking and generally better kids to teach. Prescott Primary on Pimpala Road operates a similar system to UK in terms of tailoring the lesson to meet your childs needs, most teachers here operate on the one size fits all basis.

Good luck, it is hard work but good once settled although I am not totally sorted.

Libby

Hi, new to this so excuse stupid questions! How, if you have never been there do you find out whereabouts to go in australia? Which part I would go to is hard enough to figure out......and here am i listening to you lot talking about suburbs!!!!!!!!!

How will i find all this out?

I'm new to this site so bear with me too!

I wouldn't even know where in australia.............and here you all are discussing suburbs etc......how do you find out where's best to go.....do your agents help with this...and schools etc?

Hi there Planky,

We researched all the major areas, Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne etc. We settled on Adelaide (or thereabouts) due to the climate (meditteranean apparently) and cheaper house prices. Also my profession was on thier shortage list for sponsorship, which we didn't need in the end, as we had enough points for permanent residency anywhere but it makes me more confident when considering work oppurtunities. We then looked online at suburbs and facilities etc. I'm not saying that when we get there we will settle where we researched, but it's a start......

Bec x

:wubclub:

Hi, just joined up after reading your post, my husband is applying for SApol also and has passed the initial tests, and is waiting to be given his interview and physical test date, sometime in March/April.

Just wanted to say hi and hope we can help each other out with all these questions i have, same as you!!

Guest Pom3974

Hi Bexter, good luck with the tests hope you get in. We will have to wait till the next intake but we hope we will be out there by the end of next year!!! Signed up to another site ' poms in adelaide' really good answers there as its specific to Adelaide. Let us know how it goes we can't do anything until the recruitment re-opens. We are heading out for three weeks in May to have a good look around, have you been out there yet.

Take care and good luck

Tammey and Jay.

Archived