KL vs HKG airport for a stopover with kids??

SaffanZimbo

OK so now that reality has set in we have to go with the cheapest flights in order to afford our validation trip as accommodation is proving very expensive (going over Easter - not the brightest idea but works in with school holidays - almost!).

Does anyone have any ideas which airport Hong Kong or KL is best for a 5-8 hour stopover with kids and if this give us enough time to go out of the airport for a quick tour? We were hoping to do Changi but the airfares with Singapore Air are £1100 more for the 4 of us if we fly with them as a opposed to Malaysian or Cathay Pacific... Our girls are 3.5 an 6 so any help appreciated.

Hi,

We always fly via Singapore as they have more for children, but if I had to choose then I would say KL. Whatever happens, Changai, Singapore or HK I think they will get bored. I did a five hour stop in Singapore on the way to Sydney this year with a five year old and after a couple of hours it was "daddy when are we getting n the aeroplane again ?".

It might be worthwhile getting one of the airport stopover rooms as thn at least they could have a sleep etc. They are usually quite cheap and are airside.

Hope ths helps.

KL Airport is about an hour drive from the city. It is 30 mins on the airport train. A taxi will cost about the same as 2 adult train tickets. Not sure what kids cost on the train but taxi is likely to be cheaper if a group of you are travelling. I had 2 stopovers in KL in April this year.

Just my views...Not sure the age of your kids, however, having been a regular traveler through HKG and KUL airports, and having lived in KL for some time, My own view would be HKG. (out of the two, as others have said SIN airport would be better for kids, swimming pool etc). KL city is at least 1 hour drive from airport, and taxi would be the easiest way, the fast train is good, but ends at KL central, which is not quite the city bit you would want to be for a quick visit, however the monorail goes from there so can easily get around. taxi would be best though. HKG city center can be easily reach via the fast train. Again like KL to drive is a fair way. If you wish to just do a little shopping and maybe a quick meal, you could go to Tung Chung, (large newly developed area with housing and massive shopping center, food outlets etc) which is a few minutes down from the airport by bus (or get on the free Novotel hotel bus! - hotel is part of shopping center)) And if time get the cable car up to the large Budda on the mountains (Cable car goes from Tung Chung. ) Any questions on KL please ask...Other thing to bear in mind is the weather, KL is always about 33 degrees and very humid, so you will be sweating !! ....hope that helps a bit !

Found fantastic flights with BA via Singapore with 6 hour stopovers both ways for a really good price. Busy now trying to sort out where to go / what to do for the 22 days on the ground. Luckily have some fantastic friends in Perth who have offered accommodation and the use of a car. Dont' want to outlive our welcome so will spread ourselves around and do 10 nights rental accommodation in Rockhampton and Walpole/Albany. Bring on 28th March!

You'll have more than enough time for a swim, catch a movie, check out some of the gardens, have a massage and more

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/entertainment-lifestyle

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences

We usually spend 3-4 hours on the ground at Changi and find we have plenty to keep us busy or just go nap for a while (in days before having kids of course :P )

Archived