Mortgage!!!

SallyKay

Hi all, my husband and I are planning on emigrating in the next year or so to Perth. My husband is Australian and I am British. He is currently a qualified electrician in the UK. Does anyone know what he will have to do when we arrive in order to be recognised as a qualified Electrician as I've heard that the UK qualifications aren't valid in Australia. Am I correct on this? Also wondered if anyone is aware of average salaries for a qualified Electrician in the Perth area? Thanks so much!

I meant to go on to say (hense the header!!) what the general lend is with an Australian mortgage. We should have about a $75,000 as a deposit, I've read it's generally 3 or 4 times your salary??? Thanks!

Hi Sally

What visa will you be coming over on (i.e perm or temp)?

Also do you have kids, if so how old and how many?

I can give you some ballparks once I know the answers to these questions :biggrin:

Andy

Hi Andy,

Well my hubby is Australian so it would be a spouse visa which is permanent I think?! Better look into that a little more! Am sure it is and we have 2 children under 5. I don't work at the moment as my youngest is only a year old. Ive heard the fact that I don't work could make a difference to what we could borrow. I'm really grateful for your time, Thankyou!

Hi Andy,

Well my hubby is Australian so it would be a spouse visa which is permanent I think?! Better look into that a little more! Am sure it is and we have 2 children under 5. I don't work at the moment as my youngest is only a year old. Ive heard the fact that I don't work could make a difference to what we could borrow. I'm really grateful for your time, Thankyou!

Hi Sally

My sincere apologies for not coming back to you sooner.

Being that your Husband is an Aussie then it will be possible to borrow up to 95% in some cases.

Basing assumptions on:

Annual employment income of $75,000;

Allowing for around $319 a fortnight in Centrelink Family Tax Benefits A & B;

Assuming no liabilities (other loans/finance etc).

Borrowing power currently somewhere between $300,000 - $400,000 depending upon lender.

Obviously quite a variance which shows how different lenders use different factors/variables.

Anyhoo, I hope this gives you some idea.

Just to note, one of the variables is current interest rates, therefore if rates move then this will affect the borrowing levels.

Kind regards

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the ballpark level info which is really useful. OP mentioned something about if one of the couple is not working, could there be an impact on mortgage size availability? Also, I've heard that the more credit cards you have, the less mortgage you can get. Is that true? And would that include our UK cards? Thanks.

Hi Alice

Regarding the impact on mortgage size if one of the couple is not working.

The borrowing power is based amongst other things on net income and then a deduction is made for number of adults and children in a household therefore if a single person had an income of $70,000 annually they would be able to borrow more than say a couple where only 1 was working an earning the same annual income. I think this is what you are trying to ascertain?

Another factor taken into account when assessing borroing power is a persons credit card limits (not amount owing but actual limit), so yes it is true.

Regarding UK credit cards, you will be asked for details of all credit card limits in an application and the Banks can see what Australian cards someone may have applied for although their systems cannot see UK liabilities.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Thanks Andy. That's really helpful. So, I think I should retain some of my UK credit cards but ask them to reduce my limits significantly in case we want to apply for a mortgage. And also think really hard about getting more than one oz credit card :)

Archived