Employer Obligation - Paying for ticket - Getting another sponsor at same time.

dunesurfer

Hi,

Two questions please. Hope someone can answer.

My employer made people redundant including me. (457 visa)

After 8 months looking for an alternative I gave up. (Im on a bridging visa and all in order) Basically they "own" my backside until someone took over my visa sponsorship. This didn't materialise so I am still their responsibility.

Though I applied for roles I am still waiting hear back from possible jobs. I asked my employer rather than buying me a ticket to give me a "reasonable" amount in cash as I want to fly via NZ then to the US towards London. So I will buy my own way as I go. I wrote to them this will cancel any obligations towards me. I need to cover and plan for the following.

Questions 1

After some thinking My worry is, what if I get a sponsor in the next month? Will the money they gave me influence me taking another job? (Of course will give the money back should i be lucky, but will I forfeit my continues workpermit or will it affect anything you are aware of)

Question 2

My wife is over with me on a spouse visa. They only sponsored me, however as I understand they are under obligation to buy tickets for us both. (They made me redundant so I didn't quit.)

Thank you!

• 5 months later...
Hi,

I asked my employer rather than buying me a ticket to give me a "reasonable" amount in cash as I want to fly via NZ then to the US towards London...

Hi, I am now in a similar position.

Did you employer pay for your flights in cash for a "reasonable amount" or did they book the flights or wait for you to provide the receipt for the booked flights?

Did they pay for your spouse?

Did you secure sponsorship elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Archived