How expensive is the Gold Coast?

Guest jordan

Guest jordan

It looks like we are going to be left with about £30k for a deposit on a house in OZ after shipping, flight and giving ourselves £10k for a car and rent until my husband can find a job. Moving to the Gold coast around Robina area do like the look of Mudgeeraba. Husband is a spray painter and what i can gather from a recent thread is that he can earn any think from $600 - $850 a week which is a big drop in wage. We have 3 children so i will be a stay at home mom.

Can anyone help. We have not been to the Gold Coast so we don't know how expensive it is there. We would like a 3/4 bedroom house in a nice suburb. Have looked on realestate.com but it's hard to know which are the nice suburbs, and what we should be looking at in $ realistically. What is the property market like at the moment in the GC is it any think like Perth?

I know our original dream of 4 bedroom 2 bathroom double garage with pool for $250K is out the window........ where did i put those rose tinted glasses i want them back :lol:

Hiya

unfortunately i cant answer your question exactly but maybe if you get one of the 'where to live guides' it may help you narrow down suburbs ,i got the Greater Brisbane one and it lists nearly every suburb giving info on the area ,the type of people that live there, amount of kids etc ,i found it like GOLDDUST when deciding roughly where to go,you could also try the Queensland council website for more info and links to areas ,

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest ABCDiamond
Husband is a spray painter and what i can gather from a recent thread is that he can earn any think from $600 - $850 a week which is a big drop in wage. We have 3 children so i will be a stay at home mom.
It's difficult to say how expensive it is here, but most general costs are similar in all parts of the country, although it's the accommodation costs that vary a lot.

The Perth Housing market is very different to the East Coast in general. Perth is still rising, whilst we are stable or dropping slightly.

I just looked at Realestate.com at the Robina and surrounding area, and prices start pretty low, if you include "Townhouses". Merrimac and Varsity lakes crops up at about the $250k mark.

However, if you want a detached house, with a reasonable block of land you are looking from about $350k upwards in those areas. As a comparison of area, I recently sold a 3 bed detached house on 750sqm for $270k in a pretty popular Bayside Brisbane area. It makes me feel that the Robina area must be pretty good.

The locality guide by LJ Hooker is at Robina Locality guide

You mention 3 children... are you on a PR visa ? If so, you should be entitled to a "child Benefit" type payment called FTB, and this can be a reasonable figure... eg:

Some Example Benefits as at March 2006

Family Tax Benefit:

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:

Possible Family Assistance of $365.54 per fortnight or $9,530.15 per year. (Tax Free)

This is made up of:

Family Tax Benefit Part A $283.50 per fortnight.

Family Tax Benefit Part B $82.04 per fortnight.

Obviously the payment is higher, if the Income is lower.

More links on this at http://www.britzinoz.com/info/benefits.htm

Guest jordan
Husband is a spray painter and what i can gather from a recent thread is that he can earn any think from $600 - $850 a week which is a big drop in wage. We have 3 children so i will be a stay at home mom.
It's difficult to say how expensive it is here, but most general costs are similar in all parts of the country, although it's the accommodation costs that vary a lot.

The Perth Housing market is very different to the East Coast in general. Perth is still rising, whilst we are stable or dropping slightly.

I just looked at Realestate.com at the Robina and surrounding area, and prices start pretty low, if you include "Townhouses". Merrimac and Varsity lakes crops up at about the $250k mark.

However, if you want a detached house, with a reasonable block of land you are looking from about $350k upwards in those areas. As a comparison of area, I recently sold a 3 bed detached house on 750sqm for $270k in a pretty popular Bayside Brisbane area. It makes me feel that the Robina area must be pretty good.

The locality guide by LJ Hooker is at Robina Locality guide

You mention 3 children... are you on a PR visa ? If so, you should be entitled to a "child Benefit" type payment called FTB, and this can be a reasonable figure... eg:

Some Example Benefits as at March 2006

Family Tax Benefit:

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:

Possible Family Assistance of $365.54 per fortnight or $9,530.15 per year. (Tax Free)

This is made up of:

Family Tax Benefit Part A $283.50 per fortnight.

Family Tax Benefit Part B $82.04 per fortnight.

Obviously the payment is higher, if the Income is lower.

More links on this at http://www.britzinoz.com/info/benefits.htm

Thankyou very much for all the info much appreciated, do you know if they take into account child benifit when applying for a mortgage. Thankyou for the links.

Stacey xx

Guest ABCDiamond
do you know if they take into account child benifit when applying for a mortgage. Thankyou for the links.

Stacey xx

Yes, they do :) Make sure you mention it though.

Also when applying for a mortgage, check your credit card limits don't create a problem.

Mortgage lenders will take any Credit Card "LIMITS" into account when you apply for a Mortgage. So, if you can, pay off any balances, before applying, and have your card limit reduced to a few hundred $ only.

In my experience, if you pay off the balance at the end of each month, and therefore pay NO interest, the lender can often be convinced to ignore that cards credit limit, but you need to be able to prove it.

Most Bank Lenders will also offer you a credit card, effective after the mortgage is done, and that limit is ignored in the calculation.

http://www.britzinoz.com/info/morgages.htm

• 1 year later...
Guest kelly.stobbart@sky.com
Thankyou very much for all the info much appreciated, do you know if they take into account child benifit when applying for a mortgage. Thankyou for the links.

Stacey xx

Hi, When renting you also get a rental allowance towards paying your rent. Depending on what visa your on you will also get the 1st time buyers home owners grant which is a god send

Guest The Baggo's

Hi we are renting in Robina and just about to purchase a house here. Mugereeba is cheaper as its the otherside of the highway. We love Robina as its near beaches shopping etc. if you look at realestate.com it will give you some idea. We are renting a townhouse at moment and wouldn't want to buy one with 3 kids as there is no garden and most are 3 beds. hope this helps

does anyone know if you can get a rental allowance or other child benefits if you are in oz on a adult student visa or can you still claim child benefit from the uk?

Archived