Advice on using an agent

AllanScott

We are hoping to migrate to oz. Waiting to sit IELTS general exam, if successful then I need to go through VETASSES skill assessment for my job as Plumber. After that I gather it is EOI and hope for invite to apply for state nom visa or independent (which takes longer). Does anyone think it is a good idea to use an agent or easy enough to lodge application myself?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Allan

If your application is fairly straightforward and you're good at following instructions and filling out paperwork, you may wish to save yourself the money and do it yourself. I would recommend contacting a registered migration agent to at least get an assessment done (this is usually free). Then you can make the decision to hire on an agent or do it on your own. Good luck!

You seam to have the right steps - but depending where you are from - you likely dont need the IELTS to lodge your SKills Assessment.

Getting an assessment by a RMA if you are going to use one or not is alway the best thing to do. As if you calculate points wrong - mostly due to work experiance it could be costly.

190 might take longer to get the State Nomination through - but you are invited quicker straight away, and 190 has higher priority processing arangements, and you only require to pass the points test.

The 189 is ranked accourding to how many points you have - so if you have low points you could be waiting longer for an invitation.

If you have any Character or Medical issues it is recommended you use an agent.

Thanks. Although my wife is good at the things you mentioned like paperwork and following the appropriate steps we thought that an agent would save time as they are sure of the process. We spoke with 3 agents and liked Ian Harrop due to cost but prepared to pay if it gets us the right result in a reasonable time. We are hoping to apply for independent or state depending on IELTS results. We are a family of 4, kids are only 4 & 2. Thought if we apply state we could possibly receive our visa in time for our eldest to begin school in oz rather than here. Hopefully we will get IELTS results we need and go from there. Just worry the process changes again

Cheers for the advice

There has just been major changes this year, starting 1 July - it was announced well over a year ago that they were going to introduce this, same when they changed the points test it was announced a good while before it actually happened. There has been such an overhall this year - I cant see things changing anytime soon. But the pass mark or the SOL/CSOL could change. But hopefully your occupation would be fine.

Booklet 6 has good information regarding the GSM process. And using the forum - you should find the information you would require.

Good Luck

We applied for the 176 last year, (equivalent to 190) we had our visas 6 weeks after lodging. As for medicals the only place in Scotland that does them is in Edinburgh - Shawfair Park, its just off the bypass. It will be a while before you are requested for them just so you know. Adults were £290 Children £95.

We are from Glasgow and been told that if the score is 8's for IELTS we can lodge an independent but if 7's our only choice is state. Our preferred state is Queensland (gold coast) as we have family there but they are not offering state option to plumbers. We would be happy to try Victoria as they are offering state to plumbers.

We did free assessment and scored 70 points. Agent said after IELTS & skill test we would then be able to decide.

We have no medical issues and are in good health. Just want to go down best route to achieve best result.

Just home 3 weeks from gold coast and would love to go back at earliest opportunity.

Appreciate your advice, glad we joined this forum as it helps settle any

uncertainties.

Archived