Most Aussie Migrants Born in the UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Most Aussie migrants born in the UK

Of the 6 million plus migrants living in Australia, over a million people were born in the United Kingdom found the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today. The next largest group was those who were born in New Zealand, followed by China, India and Vietnam.

However, over the last decade, the proportion of Australian residents who were born in the UK has declined from 5.8% of the population in 2001 to 5.3% in 2011. In contrast, the proportions increased for people born in New Zealand (from 2.0% to 2.5%), China (from 0.8% to 1.8%) and India (from 0.5% to 1.5%).

In 2010-11, the most populated states received the greatest number of overseas migrants: New South Wales with a net of 50,200 persons, followed by Victoria (45,700 persons) and Queensland (31,300 persons). The Northern Territory had the lowest contribution with a net of 630 persons.

In 2010-11, net interstate migration contributed to a population gain for Queensland (7,200 persons), Western Australia (6,200 persons), Victoria (3,800 persons) and the Australian Capital Territory (1,400 persons). Those states that lost from interstate migration were New South Wales (13,200 persons), South Australia (2,600 persons), the Northern Territory (2,500 persons) and Tasmania (50 persons).

More information on migrants living in Australia and data on overseas, interstate and regional migration can be found in Migration, Australia 2010-11 (cat. no. 3412.0) and the associated data cubes under the downloads tab.

With the UK average age being nearly 54...it is an ageing population in terminal decline. The days when Brits made up the bulk of immigrants being long gone and as such their percentage will further drop.

The big winners India and China look to continue into the future along with increased South East Asian intake. Australia is increasingly becoming a part of its region.

I've heard it said on here quite often that migrants shouldn't bring their 'baggage' with them to aus, mostly in reference to ethnic feuds which originated in their country of birth. I'd add to that the Brits have traditionally brought with them the baggage of 'Little England', a kind of Alf Garnett caricature stuck in a time warp from the 1950s.

Bring in more from Asia I say.

I've heard it said on here quite often that migrants shouldn't bring their 'baggage' with them to aus, mostly in reference to ethnic feuds which originated in their country of birth. I'd add to that the Brits have traditionally brought with them the baggage of 'Little England', a kind of Alf Garnett caricature stuck in a time warp from the 1950s.

Bring in more from Asia I say.

You don't see to many people from England setting up home in foreign countries and then bringing their ethnic feud's with them and causing nothing but grief in the host country or you don't see to many people from England setting up home in foreign countries then trying to live by the law of the land of their birth country and trying to enforce it on other's.

You don't see to many people from England setting up home in foreign countries and then bringing their ethnic feud's with them and causing nothing but grief in the host country or you don't see to many people from England setting up home in foreign countries then trying to live by the law of the land of their birth country and trying to enforce it on other's.

Really?

The aboriginals would disagree, as would most of Britain's former colonies

Well going back a little the Brits did impose their will in the sense of politics and religion and ethics on half the world whether they liked it or not. And to top it off they kindly removed a lot of those countries sacred treasures to hall of stolen property sometimes known as The British Museum.

Modern day a lot don't seem to have problems living by their own rules in UAE or Saudi Arabia or Thailand if it comes to that. Not to mention Spain.....

Really?

The aboriginals would disagree, as would most of Britain's former colonies

Well we can always go back in history and pick something up to suit ourselves or the argument, what has that got to do with anyone today, it has nothing to do with today's migrant's in my opinion or do you want to blame us for what people done then?

Well going back a little the Brits did impose their will in the sense of politics and religion and ethics on half the world whether they liked it or not. And to top it off they kindly removed a lot of those countries sacred treasures to hall of stolen property sometimes known as The British Museum.

Modern day a lot don't seem to have problems living by their own rules in UAE or Saudi Arabia or Thailand if it comes to that. Not to mention Spain.....

Yes you see loads of English people running riot all over Spain, Saudi etc don't you, and also when people to appear to break the law in some of those countries mentioned they are punished harshly.

And also what has happened in years gone by got to do with today's migrants or are you to going to blame todays migrants for what happened when they were not even born?

Well we can always go back in history and pick something up to suit ourselves or the argument, what has that got to do with anyone today, it has nothing to do with today's migrant's in my opinion or do you want to blame us for what people done then?

I heard it said on here the other day that the aboriginals were just migrants themselves, who arrived 30,000 years ago. It suited the argument of the poster because it implied that they have no implicit rights over subsequent waves of migrants, starting with Britain in 1788.

I heard it said on here the other day that the aboriginals were just migrants themselves, who arrived 30,000 years ago. It suited the argument of the poster because it implied that they have no implicit rights over subsequent waves of migrants, starting with Britain in 1788.

Yes but that is ridiculous to the argument to talk of what happened 30,000 years ago, that has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening today, neither has what happened 200 or 150 years ago.

Yes you see loads of English people running riot all over Spain, Saudi etc don't you, and also when people to appear to break the law in some of those countries mentioned they are punished harshly.

And also what has happened in years gone by got to do with today's migrants or are you to going to blame todays migrants for what happened when they were not even born?

Same thing in Britain or Australia if one breaks the law....History has a habit of biting people in the b.m... Another example why do the Brits often bring up the war in the context of Germany,when most were not born and know little about it?

Same thing in Britain or Australia if one breaks the law....History has a habit of biting people in the b.m... Another example why do the Brits often bring up the war in the context of Germany,when most were not born and know little about it?

I hardly ever hear anyone talking about Germany in the context of the war, thats old hat and what has that got to do with anything?

Brits bring it up often..often meant to be humourous perhaps but it is still there and it has everything to do with the subject you brought up with regards to history....

I think you may be clutching at straws, to bring up the German/British thing is nonsense.

I think you may be clutching at straws, to bring up the German/British thing is nonsense.

you seem to imply that by being British you cannot have any sectarian 'baggage', what about the Catholics and Proddies in NI, or in Glasgow (affectionately known as Belfast lite)?

No the war still still raging in some minds especially the rag tabloids. As I said it is often meant in a humourous way.... Being closer to the issue than you perhaps are I can assure you it is not nonsense....Many features from history play out to things todays young had no part in the initial forming. This ranges from war in The Falklands to issues over Gibraltar with Spain ...to Brits caught out in the property scandal in Northern Cyprus.......what is nonsense is to deny history has no bearing ...

Guest Guest16631

...........the shift in migrant country of origin.......has IMO a lot to do with the needs of the host country........while colour creed and ethnenticity,should have little bearing,as long as skill or other migrant requirements are filled.............the population of the migrants country has through history shaped it's people through need ....

Yes but that is ridiculous to the argument to talk of what happened 30,000 years ago, that has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening today, neither has what happened 200 or 150 years ago.

.........would have to disagree........ history shapes the who ,what and where of today.............the first race in Australia were........hunter gatherers..........with the first European migrants came agricultural farming..........a change to the land use.......and need of type of migrant..........mineing attracted those with that particular skill........which led to a large Chinese immigrant population.....

...................as a country grows its populations needs change........and as technology and it's understanding become a part of modern Australia.......progress a natural progress learnt from past endeavors.............it will look to the country that can supply that need.......

...........history also has a place in teaching........integration works better than alienation.........(again use of previous example .......Jews forced to live in designated areas ,which in turn fuelled suspicion and hatred......

.................history Imo has a lot to do with migration..........our needs ,actions ,and consequences of those .........will dictate ,who ,and what is needed in the future..........just my thoughts....

Archived