Is it possible to export your dog without using a pet travel agency?

Guest SassyManc

Guest SassyManc

I am moving to Perth in a few weeks and my husband (and hopefully dog) will be following in the new year.

I am currently researching how to get the dog there and have everything clear in terms of vaccines, paper work etc. I have got some quotes on transportation costs from pet travel agents and I cannot believe how expensive it is. I really want to take my dog with me (I am already leaving the two older ones as I don't think they will make the trip) but I am not sure that I can afford it. :frown:

I was expecting it to be around £3000, but so far all of the quotes have been between £2700 - £3200 for basic transportation. There would then be vet fees, vaccinations, paperwork etc on top of this, which will be about another £700 and then quarantine fees too, which will be about £875.

I have also been quoted £3860 for a full service (vets, transportation, paper work included), but there would still be quarantine fees of £875 on top of this.

I have done some research to see if I can do most of this myself, ie book vets, get paperwork done and arrange cargo flight, but I cannot find very much information about this. BA's website does say that they do not accept animal freight booked by an individual - it has to be done by an agency/client.

Does anyone know if this is the same for all airlines and/or has anyone successfully planned their own pet export? Obviously I wan't my dog to have the best service possible, but I simply don't think we can afford what I am being quoted and I am heart broken at the thought of leaving her behind. :cry:

Oh hun, i really feel for you. We had to leave our two labs behind in the uk with relatives while we came to Oz and tried to save to get them over. The costs are just daft aren't they. I too looked into ways off making it cheaper by doing it myself while still in the UK. I believe a lot of airlines used to let you do it DIY but at the time i think i could only find one (emirates) that did our route. All the rest said only thru an agent. The only other way i think we could have saved a bit of money was if their was someone returning to the UK or still had from their return cages that would have have been suitable for either of my two (giving enough clearance, turn around space etc) that they were selling cheaply or giving away. Time and money just werent on our side when we moved. I really hope that you find a solution

Archived