Applying for a partner visa 820 while on a tourist 676 visa

Guest shawty

Guest shawty

Hello,

I am a holder of an Australia Visa Sub-class 676 and it DOES NOT HAVE a condition of " 8503-No Further Stay". It allows me to stay in Australia for 3 months for each entry. I am Romanian, and my country is on the high-risk list.

1.) Can I travel to Australia with my tourist Sub Class 676 visa and apply for a Partner visa while there, and get married to my fiancee?

2.) If so, will I be able to stay in Australia with my partner while processing the Partner Visa ? ( the processing time would take more than 3 months).

Thank you!

Hi shawty, yes you can do that. I did that and was given a bridging visa that allows me to stay in Australia when my tourist visa expires till a decision on my application has been made. How long have you been in OZ? To get married, you need to submit a Notice Of Intended Marriage form to your state's marriage registry at least 1 month before the marriage date.

Guest GeorgeD

As Miss Swan has said, yes you can do that. Do you qualify for a defacto spouse visa, or will you need to get married first to qualify for the married spouse visa?

You'll be given a bridging visa with the same rights as the visa you entered on, so a tourist visa with no work rights. You'll be allowed to remain in Australia until the decision on your spouse visa is made (around 10-12 months in most cases)

Guest shawty

Thank you Miss Swan and GeorgeD for your replies!

Miss Swan, we are not in Australia yet, because I was not sure about the bridging visa, and the tourist visa allows me to stay for only 3 months at a time, and was not sure whether to apply outside or inside for the Partner visa. We know about the 1 month to submit our intent to get married.

GeorgeD, yes, I qualify outside Australia for a Partner visa temporary and permanent, subclass 309 and 100, or prospective marriage (outside australia) subclass 300 but the waiting times are 12-18 months. Or inside Australia I qualify for a partner 820 and 801 temporary and permanent.

We would like to be in Australia by Christmas, so as you said, it is possible to apply inside Australia and get a bridging visa for the partner 820 and 801 visa.

Do you know the bridging visa name or where I could look into it??

Thank you all so much!

shawty, you can't apply for a bridging visa. It is granted to you by the immigration department as they deem fit. As for offshore vs onshore, be mindful that offshore visas are approved more quickly than onshore visas. If I had a better option, I would have applied for offshore visa.

Info on bridging visas are found here.

Archived