Duty on a New Telly?

Blewyn

Guest GeorgeD

From memory, I think the Duty is 5%. There may be additional one off fees too. You also pay GST on top which is 10% of the value plus all the fees.

That's if you declare them!

You also won't have a warranty in Australia.

Check what price you can get them in Oz...I bought a 50" Samsung 3D TV in Oz a year ago, for $1178. The cheapest I could find it online in the UK was over 1200 POUNDS! Even with the strong dollar, it was a third more expensive to buy in the UK. I bought from www.Videopro.com.au They have a shop down the road from my work so I picked it up instore for that price too.

From memory, I think the Duty is 5%. There may be additional one off fees too. You also pay GST on top which is 10% of the value plus all the fees.

That's if you declare them!

You also won't have a warranty in Australia.

Check what price you can get them in Oz...I bought a 50" Samsung 3D TV in Oz a year ago, for $1178. The cheapest I could find it online in the UK was over 1200 POUNDS! Even with the strong dollar, it was a third more expensive to buy in the UK. I bought from www.Videopro.com.au They have a shop down the road from my work so I picked it up instore for that price too.

The same TV is $3765 on the videopro website !!! Looks like cheaper to buy here even with duty....

Guest GeorgeD
The same TV is $3765 on the videopro website !!! Looks like cheaper to buy here even with duty....

Then it looks like a great deal...as long as you don't mind taking the risk of no warranty, then go for it...even if you do pay tax/duty of up to 15% it's likely to be a good deal for two TVs.

I wonder if you can claim VAT back for shipping it overseas??

Don't declare it......I have bought quiet a few items just take it out of the box and get the shippers to pack in there box,

Ask the store if that model has been out more than 12 months or when it was manufactured the can tell off the serial number. If its been manufactured over 12 months ago..they won't know

Archived