Family of 4 moving from Ireland to ACT

Guest Pinklily

Guest Pinklily

Hi Everyone

I am in the process of applying for a visa (using a migration agent). ACT is one of our options along with NT and TAS, WA would have been my preferred place as I have family there however it doesn't appear to be an option. I am hoping that those recently gone to ACT and those living there a while can give me good advice or any advice really on everything you wish you knew or now know. Things like areas to live, what to take or not take etc. While it will be a while before it is our reality I am trying to do as much research now to make it as smooth a move as is reasonably possible. We have two little girls who will be 3 and 5 when we make the move (hopefully). I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks

Hi Lily,

We came out in February. As far as I can tell, the ACT is a great place to bring up a family. The climate is pretty good (even if we do all complain about the cold winter nights) - compared to the UK, it's beautiful. The city doesn't have a 'big-city' feel to it, which I really like. It's more like a series of connected suburbs. Winter nights are extremely cold (often down around -5) but the daytime is mostly still warm and sunny, 10-15 degrees in the middle of the day. Summers are supposed to get very hot, but I think dry - we haven't experienced it yet. There's lots of open space, parks, good schools, things to do... we don't have kids ourselves yet and I know others can tell you more about that so I won't say more. The hills of the Snowy Mountains are less than 3 hours away, as are the south coast beaches.

Personally I'd avoid NT, a tropical climate is hard work and I hate the hot humidity of wet season weather. I don't know much about TAS at all.

Good luck with your visa application!

Archived