Colloquialisms

Guest Nelson

Guest glennandkate

I have been warned not to pronounce route 'route' but say 'rowt'. Route is something you do in the bedroom :oops:

Lots of other differences too:

waistcoat - vest

sweatshirt - sloppy joe

felt tips - textas

lorry - truck

crisps - chips

chips - hot chips

flannel - wash cloth

sausages - snags

can't remember what they call vests but something different. so are highlighters and flipcharts.

I didn't ever use the Aussie words though and refused to let children say them in the house. I wasn't good at trying to be an Aussie though. Probably the type of POM that they hate!

I think vests are called singlets. I use this here now and my friends hate it, no idea about what I'm talking about!! Still use chips on the odd occassion but for big bags of crisps, you know it's no wonder I'm so confussed all the time!! I also like togs/swimmers for swimming costume!

Guest IrishPost
I have been warned not to pronounce route 'route' but say 'rowt'. Route is something you do in the bedroom :oops:

The Americans very often get trapped with the word Rooting.

To them Rooting is a supporting you as in a football team and so you can imagine the look on the Aussies face when the American says, "I'm rooting for you."

Guest abeattie

This might be small and simple but, if you go to a party and you need to pop out for something don't be too worried if you are asked to take a traveller (this means take a beer or drink with you) it dosn't mean you have to take someone else with you.

Angie

Guest abeattie

Just remembered a funny one (well I think it is anyway) :lol:

My husband and I were at my cousins house and Sean mentioned that he could really go a FAGGOT now (meaning Faggots and Pea's) My cousins daughters fell about laughing, her husband just had a very shocked look on his face and couldn;t quite make out what sean was saying (a Faggot over here is a Gay Guy)

They had never heard of faggots and pea's before. We had to explain it was like a meat rissole.

He often says he would love some faggots now when he is in ozzie company just to see the reaction on their faces :shock: :lol: 8)

Hope I didn't bore you too much with that one :roll:

Guest Nelson

I'll be alright here or there then.. I often say I fancy a bloke just to be told he's gay!!!

So its risoles and arseholes then :oops:

Archived