Medicare questions

Guest lemongirl

Guest lemongirl

Hi all, my family and I are moving to Oz August 2nd, and I have a couple of questions about medicare. My husband and 2 children all have Aussie passports, so obvioulsy they'll be eligible to enrol right away, but I'll be on my British passport, and am a bit confused about how it works for me. My spousal visa hasn't been granted yet, so I'll be on a tourist visa until it comes through. Looking at the Medicare website, it looks like I am eligible to enroll right away even with just a tourist visa thank to the recipricol health care agreement - is that right? We were going to get travel insurance to cover us in the interim, but it would appear it's not necessary. However some of the threads on this board have me worndering, as it seems lots of people HAVE gotten travel insurance to cover them in the mean time. Not sure what to do. Don't want to waste the money if there's no need, but also need to make sure my babies and I are coevered in case we do need health care in the first few weeks.

Thanks for any advise

Archived